PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and Wireless

aay
10-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Ok some people will like me posting this and some won't, because it's essentially it's a post about using closed sorce drivers. Moreover they are Windows drivers with wrappers. I can't resist however because it simply looks so interesting.

Anyone who has wanted to use 802.11g (Broadcom Chip) or Intel Centrino wireless with linux has basically been up the creek until now. But it looks like there is now an option to at least get these working.

If you fall into this category, check out the following page:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

Linuxant has produced debs for their driver loader so the install shouldn't be hard. I don't yet have any requsite hardware to test these things on, but I would be interested in hearing the experiences of those who try to get their centrino wireless working.

Ok, now flame me for suggesting you use closed source. :-)

arkaoss
10-29-2003, 11:14 PM
woah! this is pretty interesting
I downloaded this, installed it, had to sign up my email with them to "liscence"
and my broadcom which is one of the bcm94301's which isn't mentioned as supported is now at least being noticed by IWCONFIG!!!

this is awsome!
i think now it's just a matter of learning how linux interfaces with wifi, i.e. establishing connections, and getting IP from dhcp, (as test)
but it looks like this thingy might be a good tide-over..
hopefully their willing to at least keep it as "free" as possible....
they seem to charge $15 for other stuff.... I say the manufacturers.. if they ain't willin to make the drivers ought to accept this as a common ground..

i think this is WORKING, and that's a lot better than NUTHIN!

MarineSct
11-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Well, Ive got the 802.11g setup and had probs with Suse's networking...especially having a cable connection behind a Belkin router. Popped this baby in and *BAM* instant access to the net. No hastles.

paranouei
11-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Got it working in a Knoppix 3.3 installed to hard drive. Just install de deb, follow the steps to compile de modules, and then use your browser to upload the windows drivers.

I'm writing this from my Acer Travelmate 800 (http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm800.htm) with Intel Centrino wireless card. Range is great (much better than a PCMCIA Ovislink I tried), and the driver so far works well under linux. I can scan with "iwlist eth1 scan", and set the essid, encryption key, ap, and some more commands with iwconfig.

My main complaint is that when I lose contact with the accesspoint I get:

Nov 8 10:55:31 murdock kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
Nov 8 10:55:31 murdock kernel: eth1: Tx timeout! <6>eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)

And even if I get connected again, I have to bring down the interface with "ifconfig eth1 down" and bring it up again to make it work. But I don't know if this is a common problem with all wireless devices or just this driver.

Chribu
11-11-2003, 02:45 AM
did you use the drivers from the link on linuxant's web site?
i have a acer travelmate 800LCi but it says it can't find the supported hardware.
i am uploading w70n51.inf

btw when i reboot the web server isn't active anymore, how comes?

Can you get monitor mode active (to use pgms such as kismet)?

rbrown3rd
11-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I am completely new to Knoppix but have a Dell 8500 laptop. I get Knoppix running ok on it but no wireless connection. Sounds like this is a solution but I have no idea how to get it onto the Knoppix CD. Could someone explain it to me as if I were a four year old? Thanks.

Ok some people will like me posting this and some won't, because it's essentially it's a post about using closed sorce drivers. Moreover they are Windows drivers with wrappers. I can't resist however because it simply looks so interesting.

Anyone who has wanted to use 802.11g (Broadcom Chip) or Intel Centrino wireless with linux has basically been up the creek until now. But it looks like there is now an option to at least get these working.

If you fall into this category, check out the following page:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

Linuxant has produced debs for their driver loader so the install shouldn't be hard. I don't yet have any requsite hardware to test these things on, but I would be interested in hearing the experiences of those who try to get their centrino wireless working.

Ok, now flame me for suggesting you use closed source. :-)

banquo0807
11-12-2003, 05:12 PM
I have a compaq 2500 laptop with an integrated broadcom chip. I have knoppix 3.3 installed to my hard drive. I can get the wireless to work and it works great, but when i reboot it stops functioning. How can I get this to work everytime without reinstalling the drivers? Is it possible for it to work on startup automatically? If not, how do I control it?

Stephen
11-12-2003, 07:19 PM
I have a compaq 2500 laptop with an integrated broadcom chip. I have knoppix 3.3 installed to my hard drive. I can get the wireless to work and it works great, but when i reboot it stops functioning. How can I get this to work everytime without reinstalling the drivers? Is it possible for it to work on startup automatically? If not, how do I control it?

If you have to modprobe a module to get it working then you should just add the module name to the file /etc/modules and it will be loaded on boot. If this is not what you do could you post some more details as to the steps involved.

banquo0807
11-12-2003, 09:24 PM
I install driverloader from the deb file I downloaded. Then I just follow the instructions to install the drivers. I do nothing special or extra other than follow the instructions.

Stephen
11-12-2003, 10:35 PM
I install driverloader from the deb file I downloaded. Then I just follow the instructions to install the drivers. I do nothing special or extra other than follow the instructions.

You should look in the documentents directory for the .deb package you installed it is usually located in /usr/share/doc/package_name there may be additional instructions on how to setup the driver to load automatically. If you can not find anything in the docs how about some clue as to what the instructions told you to do where you found the driver that kind of thing we will need a little more information to help.

paranouei
11-16-2003, 09:08 PM
did you use the drivers from the link on linuxant's web site?
i have a acer travelmate 800LCi but it says it can't find the supported hardware.
i am uploading w70n51.inf

btw when i reboot the web server isn't active anymore, how comes?

Can you get monitor mode active (to use pgms such as kismet)?

I used the w70n51.inf file from the root folder. I think it didn't recognize it at the first try, but after some more tries. Try to upgrade to the latest version of linuxant driverloader (they release new improved versions very quickly). By the way, I read something about loading the drivers before launching the X server to get the card recognized.

I didn't try to put it in monitor mode.

BTW, the problem I mentioned in the earlier post about loosing connection with the AP is solved in new releases.

Cheers

jaybee
11-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Hiya,

I would like to load a driver for a TI ACX100 PCMCIA wlan card from the boot cd.
There seems to be a driver comming soon from Craig (http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php).
But how can I manipulate the ISO-file on a way that the driver is on the CD ?

Cheers,

Jay

Repzilon
12-01-2003, 12:11 AM
Jon Lech Johansen started an open-source Centrino driver

http://nanocrew.net/blog/ipw2100/

The page seems to be down now. It was up few days ago. I could put the source on a mirror, if Johansen agrees.

aay
12-01-2003, 12:57 AM
Jon Lech Johansen started an open-source Centrino driver

http://nanocrew.net/blog/ipw2100/

The page seems to be down now. It was up few days ago. I could put the source on a mirror, if Johansen agrees.

Hmm. Yes I can't seem to get to it now. Is this the same Jon Johansen of decss and apple itunes cracking fame?

akaBeaVis
12-07-2003, 11:07 PM
...There seems to be a driver comming soon from Craig (http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php).
Jay

I now have a Knoppix 3.3 LIve CD (dated 11-14-2003) solution on my howto page, here's the link:

http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php#app_b

It is certainly possible to get this setup into the iso image, however, for now I'm content to use the "save knoppix configuration" option, but a "patch" to the iso image may be forthcoming.

let me know how it goes for you.

craig

seandavidson
12-15-2003, 08:45 AM
I now have a Knoppix 3.3 LIve CD (dated 11-14-2003) solution on my howto page, here's the link:

It is certainly possible to get this setup into the iso image, however, for now I'm content to use the "save knoppix configuration" option, but a "patch" to the iso image may be forthcoming.

craig

Craig,

This worked out fine for me. Thanks I am a totally newbie to linux and with Knoppix I can play around with it. I was testing MandrakeMove but could not get the wireless card to work so I tried Knoppix and your setup and it worked.

Thanks

Sean

akaBeaVis
12-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Thanks for letting me know how it went, I'm glad to hear it and I truly appreciate the feedback. From what I've seen lately, the next version release(0.2.0pre7) of the open source acx100 driver will be very soon, of course the knoppix download will be updated accordingly, more stability and features are sure to be a part of it. I have now verified that the download referenced "above" also works with the later Knoppix 3.3 release, dated 11-19-2003.

re Mandrake:
As of their latest version (9.2) which I installed only 2 days ago, Mandrake gets credit for trying since they include a rather old, but stable version of the acx100 open source driver(v0.1h), but I can't say that they actually "support" the acx100 chipset just yet since their gui setup tools *still* can't be used to get it going, it will come in time, I'm sure. The latest module release (0.2.0pre6) *does* work with Mandrake's latest (9.2), but you'll have to break out your trusty root-console to get it done.

elc0chin0
12-19-2003, 11:08 PM

I visitied this page and followed the directions but it didn't work.

I'm using a linksys 802.11g pcmcia card. I didn't have it inserted while I set up the configuration according to the directions but somehow I don't think that had a lot to do with it.

I did re-run the configuration again just to make sure and it still stated:
init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more inforamtion in syslog or the output from dmesg
Error while inserting module! Bailing...

If someone has run across this problem please let me know how you fixed it.

I'm running Knoppix 3.3 on a Sony athlon.

Thanks

akaBeaVis
12-26-2003, 01:42 AM
"no such device" would indeed seem to be a correct assessment since, to my knowledge, there are no wireless "G" devices that use the TI acx100 chipset, that download and page (above) are for acx100-based cards only.

Also, just to let all you TI Acx100 owners know: In addition to the "Live CD" pkg, there is now a selection of pre-compiled modules for those who've installed Knoppix 3.3 on their hard-drives as well as appropriate modifications to the instructions to include integrating the driver into Knoppix 3.3.

tearinghairout
12-26-2003, 03:53 AM
elc0chin0
I believe that the Linksys G cards use the Broadcom chipset.

The wrapper mentioned right at the start of this topic should still work, but you will need to get a different driver for your card than the others were using.

akaBeaVis
12-26-2003, 04:21 AM
Yes, I would agree, check out the Linuxant/Broadcom solution and make sure there's no "voucher" in the box that can be used for a license there...

and...on behalf of the Linux community I would like to apologize for the fact that, unlike some other OS users (who get a functional driver for free right on the CD in the box), typically, Linux wireless users *still* need to know what chipset is powering their cards and where to find/download/and-possibly-pay-for a driver for them.

Patience. In time I'm sure this will have to change. After all, we Linux users are paying the same money for the hardware as everyone else, surely the driver (or lack of) disparity will be corrected eventually.

rayhiker
01-03-2004, 03:26 AM
You may be interested in checking out ndiswrapper.sourceforge.org -- it's an open-source solution for Broadcom, Centrino, and other WLAN devices. My Broadcom WLAN device works great. And what's more -- it's free!
Ray

rayhiker
01-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Oops, that's http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
Ray

poboy975
01-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi, I just got a Dell Inspirion 5150 Laptop. I've checked out www.linux-on-laptop.net but I'm trying a Mandrake 9.1. I managed to get it installed, but I have no wireless at all. I'm pretty new to linux. I'll give you my spec.

Dell Truemobile 1400 802.11b, g.
Broadcomm 1440 (this one is ok)
Pentium 4 3.6
60 gig HD
cdrw/dvd

Everything else works just fine so far, well, except for a little acpi I havent gotten fixed yet. I d/l the driverloader, but had a problem when I tried to install it. unpacked ok, but gave an error when I tried to run it.
and for the life of me, I cant remember the error at the moment.

Meddigo Flame
02-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, this is exactly wot I have been looking for! i have both knoppix and knoppix-std nw, im a newbi to it all though, i got them for war drivin bt if i can get wireless and msn wrkin on knoppix 3.3 then il probs turn a ful tym linux user.

a few Qs, wot file shud i dwn load for my card, its a belkin 54g, i got the file for the debain kernal, but wen i try and install it in knoppix it asks for a root password how do i get past that?

is there a windows prog emulator that is more reliable than wine?

and wot is best for msn? ive heard bout amsn, bt it has probs apparently!!

ty for ANY help!!

Meddigo Flame
02-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Wel i have gotten past the password prob, now however, the file wont install, can anyone help with that? what file shud i download?!?

idle0ne
02-04-2004, 07:51 PM
i have known about driverloader but it isnt free, they charge for it dont they?

idle0ne
02-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Oops, that's http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
Ray

i tried this with my network card and mandrake 9.2 and i could not get it to work, it saw the card but i could not get it to communicate with my router.

coindood
02-15-2004, 07:01 AM
I installed the driverloader deb and did dldrconfig then went to the configurator, but I can't connect wirelessly. I always get:

PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0f.0
eth1: WEP128, WEP64 supported
eth1: IEEE 802.11b Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter at 00:0f.0 (MAC address 04:00:00:00:00:00) ready
eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
eth1: IEEE 802.11b Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter at 00:0f.0 (MAC address 04:00:00:00:00:00) ready

Does anyone hav any suggestions? I am using a realtek 8180 chipset card.

TyphoonMentat
02-16-2004, 10:32 AM
If you've got a Realtek 8180, don't bother using driverloader - there's a perfectly good driver out on the Realtek site already. Look in the www.linuxquestions.org wireless forums, in the "WPC11 version 4!" thread for lots of help.

coindood
02-17-2004, 05:25 AM
I tried everything said in that thread, but I can't get it to work. I think it has to do with the fact that I have an A7v8x mobo with a built in NIC, so the eth0 gets loaded first, but I can't get ifconfig eth0 down to work because it says no such device. I read somewhere that turning off eth0 will make wlan0 work, but I just can't get it to work! And I do have kernel 2.4.2, so it's below 2.4.21. Any suggestions?

TyphoonMentat
02-17-2004, 04:02 PM
When you say 2.4.2, was that a typo and do you mean 2.4.20? If you're running 2.4.2, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work.

Goner
03-02-2004, 09:50 AM
i tried this with my network card and mandrake 9.2 and i could not get it to work, it saw the card but i could not get it to communicate with my router.i used the binary Ndiswrapper at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin_whitaker/ndiswrapper/home.html with MDK 9.2 and an ASUS WL-100g (Broadcom) and it works like a charm ;-)

abyssknight
03-12-2004, 03:48 AM
anyone have any luck with the DWL-650+?

Craig is trying to help me out over email right now actually.

I get the device not found error too, and it never supplied an IRQ to the card.

Any ideas?

I posted about this in the laptop forum, but this topic seems to be going in the same direction. :)

reiko
03-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Look at http://www.wickle.com/weblog/index.php?p=49&more=1,
there is a howto for DWL650+.

Grretings reiko

barl0w
03-14-2004, 09:09 AM
With the Intel Centrino driver out now for Linux, will we see it included in the next version of Knoppix? (please!?)

Scott

redeagle
03-14-2004, 11:33 PM
hey i have inspiron 5150 that has two nics, one being wireless, how in english do i get it to work with knoppix loll

i have a blitz router...

i am not sure what i need to do to set it up, i am booting from the cd not the hard drive..

also where does boot from cd save its files on hd, or does it save to ram instead..

is there problem with booting on a linux machine also

anyway i really need to get this working on the laptop..

it has dell truemobile 1300 wifi lan card

thanks for help guys sorry i so dumb to this, but i dont understand allot of the commands given and what they are for

zentu
03-15-2004, 03:01 AM
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:09 am
With the Intel Centrino driver out now for Linux, will we see it included in the next version of Knoppix? (please!?)

Scott
To be honest, you probably won't see it for a while, Klaus Knopper takes a little while with the inclusion of drivers.
But, that is only so that the system doesn't break, or break another driver...
I also don't know the liscence that it is under, so he may not be able to include it with his GPL....
Here's hoping though, since the Centrino is a great platform, and it will make it easier to install.

barl0w
03-16-2004, 08:53 AM
By the way...

Here is the link for you all:

http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/

Here's hoping!!

Scott

Ic3rX
03-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Does the Bufflao Airstation G54 WLI-CB-G54A work on Konppix 2-16-04?
If so could someone explain?

OErjan
03-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Redeagle
Knoppix works from RAM, nothing is saved unless you do it manually.

abyssknight:
i have gotten a 650+ to work, atleast partly. i switched to a NETGEAR MA411 instead. that worked as i put it in, no problem what so ever.

redeagle
03-22-2004, 05:23 AM
Ok so is there a way to get the true mobile to work in wifi or not...

how do i load it and how do i work it plz.. surely someone has gotten it to work and someone knows how to do it and can tell a slow person like me how to do it..

thanks in advance, i really need to get this wifi working with live cd

thanks thanks

remember need explicit instructions, by the way, knoppix boots fine just no wifi

TimWhite
03-22-2004, 10:28 PM
The truemobile 1300 is a broadcom chipset. I don't believe that there are any OSS drivers for it.
You may have some luck running the windows driver via ndiswrapper.

Not something I've ever tried, as I've always made sure I have fully supported wlan cards (except for my Acer 1705, which I bought for Windows Gaming).

Good Luck.

redeagle
03-23-2004, 03:18 AM
well i have read that it works but dont understand it all and am trying to get someone who has it working to tell me what to do.. i am sure with all the dell's out there running this wifi that someone has it working and can tell an old dummie like me what to do to make it work

thanks for responding

come on one of u genius tell me what to do to get this up will ya

TimWhite
03-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Ok, I've had a look at a few Inspiroin 5150 linux sites linked from linux-laptops.
One states that you need one of these modules.
Kernel:
2.4:bcm4400 or b44
2.6:b44
(http://www.cs.du.edu/~nsingapu/insp5150/insp_5150.html)
One states that the Truemobile 1300 doesn't work (which is what I thought) as it's Broadcom 4301.
(http://www.lexip.ch/files/inspiron5150.html)
One says use another card.
And yet another can't even get knoppix to boot.

See if you have the modules mentioned above and try them. (I don't have my knoppix box to hand, so I can't check). You may have to recompile a new kernel.
If you find that it's the 4301 card and the 44 modules don't work, I think you will need to buy a supported card.

redeagle
03-23-2004, 04:28 PM
ok i am really tired of futsin with this, what card can i buy that will work.. i dont know about compiling the kernel so i would like one that is gonna work right off of boot... knoppix boots on my 5100 with no problems acceept the wifi card....

i would prefer to buy it from dell to keep their warranties

thanks for your replies, means allot.. like i said linux noob and dont know how to do anything so need instructions...

thanks

TimWhite
03-23-2004, 09:30 PM
These two work fine:

Dell Truemobile 1150 (Orinoco)
DLink DWL650 (not the DWL650+) (Prism2)

Both are 802.11b

tongue561
04-04-2004, 12:17 AM

craig

Followed instructions and was successful until /home/knoppix/Desktop/start_net when it bailed out with message that file it was trying to run was compiled with kernel 2.4.22 and my kernel is 2.4.24

Any (non-technical) assistance greatly appreciated.

I am also running version 3.3

Cheers

Steve

floppy61
07-27-2005, 08:24 AM
I am working to change to knoppix, but i have a zonet wireless adapter zew2500p. does anyone know weather this will work? or if there is drivers to get that will work?

redeagle
08-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Ok, still no where with this dell wifi.. has anyone bought any of the cards that walmart carries (only store in town lol) and gotten them to work with knoppix or any other distro..

thanks a million.. i would really love you utilize this laptop with linux as well as windows.. especially a live distro that appears to be so kewl like knoppix..

thanks

Postie
02-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I have a dell TrueMobile 1150 card. I am running Knoppix 4.0.2 using a 'beginners' install. However, this is where my situation is a little strange. To boot on my Sony PCG-Z505 laptop, i must disable the PCMCIA slot via a cheatcode (I use the external Sony CD-Rom). This carries over to my hard disk install and I have no access to the PCMCIA slot. Doesn't recognize the card.
How do I change this?

Capt. Cautious
03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
I have an HP 44500ze laptop and a Linksys2.4GHz adapter for notebook, model wpc11 Ver. 4. I have a Winblow$ XP pro installation that it works okay with in the local public library. What I want to do is use the wireless with my Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD distro for surfing from the library and e-mail since i can't use their e-mail server and mine won't see me at the library. I guess I'm not as tech-able as I thought because I've tried the wrappers and i still can not get it to function. Rather than tie up inordinate amounts of time here if someone would kindly point me towards a link, site or wiki that will explain in words of 2 syllables or less how to set this wifi up and hopefully get it to work on an open non-encrypted network.I once got it to see the card, but could not get it to see the network.
TIA and please try not to laugh too loud.:lol:
In Service & In Health,
Captain V. Cautious