PDA

View Full Version : How to set up USB keyboard in XF86Config

EirikN
10-29-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm having some trouble with my Logitech USB keyboard on my Toshiba laptop (sometimes I need an external monitor and keyboard :) ). When I am in console mode, the keyboard is recognized correctly and works fine. But as soon as I run X, the keyboard is no longer recognized. I've tried googling around for the right Inputdevice setup in Xf86Config-4, but am unable to find one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Eirik

sgeiger
10-29-2003, 07:52 PM
EirikN,

Did you think to try booting the computer from the CD and then copying the config file? Here's a factoid that might help:

Very Easy X Setup (video, mouse, keyboard): Use Knoppix to boot your machine and then do: "sudo su; mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt; mv /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4-backup-on`/bin/date +%m_%d_%Y_%a_%I_%M_%p`; cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4; umount /mnt; reboot" ...and take the CD out before you reboot. ;-)

EirikN
10-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Very Easy X Setup (video, mouse, keyboard): Use Knoppix to boot your machine and then do: "sudo su; mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt; mv /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4-backup-on`/bin/date +%m_%d_%Y_%a_%I_%M_%p`; cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4; umount /mnt; reboot" ...and take the CD out before you reboot. ;-)

Hmmm - perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough: I've installed Knoppix 3.3 on the laptop's harddisk, so the Xf86Config-4 files are exactly the same on /hda2 and the CD-ROM (with one small language modification). In other words, this wouldn't make a difference, would it? :?