PDA

View Full Version : Gaim MSN: Protocol not supported :S

alexi02
10-30-2003, 04:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to linux and have the KNOPPIX V3.3 2003-09-24-EN.
I'm trying to use Gaim to sign into my MSN account but it just keeps displaying that the Protocol is not supported...... I don't know what this actually means. :? Do I need to install a update of a protocol ?, or update Gaim? or something else?

Thanks for your time,

Alex.

tearinghairout
10-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Alex
On 15th October Microsoft changed their servers to only support later versions of their protocol in an attempt to try to shut out non-microsoft clients.
You can find out a bit more about it here...http://gaim.sourceforge.net/msn.php

From the Gaim website:
Gaim still works with MSN provided you're using a recent version (0.71 is our current version), and you have SSL libraries properly installed. We support either Mozilla NSS or GNUTLS. Check the FAQ for more information.

Apt-get gaim does not seem to give a late enough version, so you might have to install the source and compile it yourself.
Sorry I can't be more specific, but the whole thing seems to be a bit of a moving target.

stukennedyuk
10-30-2003, 04:07 PM
aMSN works! - Although the version that supports protocol 9 (0.83-1) gets uninstalled by 'apt-get' everytime, so I must be doing something wrong!

I don't really properly understand package management at the moment!

I just download the aMSN .deb package and use:-

dpkg -i amsn_0.83-1_i386.deb

It comes back:-

Selecting previously deselected package amsn.
(Reading database ... 117355 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking amsn (from amsn_0.83-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of amsn:
amsn depends on tcltls; however:
Package tcltls is not installed.
dpkg: error processing amsn (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
amsn

But works fine....

I'm a newbie. Stu......

iscarib
10-30-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm newbier than any other in this planet :wink: but I installed aMSN from the tar.gz file!!!
Just follow the instruction from the aMSN's web page http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

Installation
Download amsn-0_xx.tar.gz
$ tar xvzf amsn-0_xx.tar.gz
$ cd msn
$ ./amsn
or
$ wish amsn
If command wish is not found, you need to install tcl/tk packages (tcl & tk).

Note that I used "./amsn" and it works fine!
Be carefull to put the tar.gz file in the directory where you want to install it, because I ran the installation in my "downloads" directory and now I have pics, videos, and this kind of fool things in the same directory that aMSN is installed. :?
I hope that this helps you!
Linuxely yours,

Rodrigo.