PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 3.3 live cd on a windows lan

pap2003
10-30-2003, 08:12 AM
I use knoppix live cd from time to time on the local lan at work . ( just some windows machine conneted to a switch) So I configure my lan settings with network card config from the knoppix menu ( basicly ip router and dns settings). Now what I want to do is to share my local drives on the local network. So I start Configure samba server from the knoppix menu answer and the questions . At this point I can see a pc called knoppix from the ohter windows machines. But when I try to access them I can't. It denies me the connection. This happens both from a winxp and a win98 pc. When I try to access my shares from linneigberhood all is ok.
Am I missing someting?
Do I need to configure something on the win pc's

Any help is welcome

pap

mightydavefish
11-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi,
You probably need to create some samba users on the knoppix pc. Try this:

su
smbpasswd (your user name here)

It will ask you to set an smb password, which should be the same as their windows password to make it easier. Try connecting from that logon on a windows pc and see if that does it for you. I don't use samba as much as I probably should, so I don't know for sure, but figured you might have been waiting all this time for some kind of answer. Good luck. For overwhelming documentation see samba.org.

arkaine23
11-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Use smbmount command

You probably will need to conncet as user knoppix. This means the windows boxes need a user knoppix that can access their shares.