PDA

View Full Version : Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot

Danmak
10-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Hello,

It is possible to add speciall interface card (NI PCI-GPIB) to the hardware detection routine ? The Linux driver for this card is available as loadable module.
Where can I find more information about the configuration of the hardware detection used in KNOPPIX ?

thx Danmak

stukennedyuk
10-30-2003, 03:23 PM
I've opted to do a HD install using the Knoppix-installer and chosen to make that a Debian style install. (see the significance later) I've been playing around with Kino which requires modules 'raw1394 and ohci1394 to be loaded, so Kino can control the i/f directly. What I did, was just add them to '/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh' that is I added the following lines:-

modprobe raw1394
modprobe ohci1394

Unfortunately, if you have a Knoppix style install, you won't find bootmisc.sh - all the clever stuff is done with this script (and probably others):-

/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

-It's rather complex, I got no further than commenting out a couple of lines to trick the script into enabling dma by default!!! You might recognise some of it running at boot time.....

Stu.....

stukennedyuk
10-30-2003, 03:24 PM
PS. I'm a linux newbie, so I could be suggesting quite the wrong way to do things!!!

mosabua
12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
To get the modules loaded on a hd install just add them to /etc/modules ..

Check out my article on how to set up non-linear video editing on Debian/knoppix (http://www.mosabuam.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=81&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)