PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help - Recovering Data, Copying Files, Using CD-RW

Johnny3
10-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi Everyone! :D

Basically, I’m trying to use Knoppix to recover a non-bootable XP drive, on selected files (that Knoppix can read)

I’ve read many posts on setting up Knoppix for CD-RW and copying files, but haven’t seen anything work yet.

Using the latest version 3.3, I boot up normally, it sees all the devices:
External USB 24x CD-RW
External USB Flash Drive

It can read the files on these devices, but I’m prevented to write to them. I use the “right” mouse key to change “rewrite’ mode, and do it again to “mount” the drive.

With two windows, opened, I click on the hard drive folder and “copy”, then go the the USB Flash Drive Device and say “paste”… It looks like it’s collecting the files and gets ready to “write”, but instead I get an error message “could not make directory…”

I try to use the K3B CD-writer (after using the setup menu), and get an error message, it can’t find “cdrecord” and to “load the CDRTOOLS”… I can’t seem to find the cdrtools program to load???

I’ve got a little Windows experience (20 + years), but no Linux what-so-ever… :wink:

Can someone explain, step by step, for this Linux newbie on the correct procedure to “turn-on” the correct software switches and be able to “write” to these above USB devices… At this stage, I’ll be happy just copying files from the HD to the USB Flash Drive…

The mounting/unmounting and K3B cdrecord has me more than confused… (I really did read a number of writeups and still going in circlesJ)

Help, Please?
:roll:

gretchen
10-30-2003, 10:05 PM
try this

open a root shell type:
k3b

that will run k3b as root and give you permissions to things you probably don't have permissions to do as Knoppix

disclaimer: not tried this myself - just a guess from the error messages you were getting

Johnny3
10-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I went to the root shell, typed k3b, it starts and then got some error messages:
Warning - Already running

If I use the menu and select k3b, it starts, and "ALWAYS" get this error message "Unable to find cdrecord executable"
Solution-Install the cdrtools package...

This is one problem I can't seem to find the "cdrtools package" to install?\
Where is it?

When I try to copy/paste files to the USB flash drive, it goes through the motions and then displays an error message:
Error-Konqueror-
"Could not make directory /mnt/sda1/My Documents (or xxx filename)"

I did change the rewrite priv's for the USB flash drive, but I'm stuck? :oops:

What next folks?