PDA

View Full Version : Replacement of launchers in Panel and customized KMenu

Kam
10-31-2003, 02:26 AM
Hi,

I would like to know that if I can get information or is there is any link regarding customization of launcher icons and applications in Panel and about customizing KMenu launcher, when re-mastering Knoppix in "chroot" mode.
And also my configured Panel and Menu must be default panel and menu for all users along with root in compressed .iso.

Thanks in Advance

Kam
11-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Plleeeeaaassee.........Will some one reply for above ??? I have to re-master a cd for our school education.

Many thanks in advance.

arkaine23
11-11-2003, 10:22 PM
You need to start an xsession while chrooted.

The easiest way is boot in text mode:

knoppix 2

Then mount everything and activate swap and chroot into your source filesystem.

Then
mkdir /home/knoppix
cp /etc/skel /home/knoppix
chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix
chmod -R 777 /home/knoppix
cp /etc/resolv.conf resolv.conf.bak

Outside of chroot:

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda#/path/to/your/source/filesystem/KNOPPIX/etc/X11
cp /etc/resolve.conf /mnt/hda#/path/to/your/source/filesystem/KNOPPIX/etc

back inside chroot:

su knoppix
vi /home/knoppix/.xinitrc

now enter this line to the empty file:
startkde

:wq (to save)

startx

Now you are in KDE off your chroot filesystem. You need to run: kmenuedit to change the menu. You can add and remove and edit the kicker icons and desktop icons by right clicking the kicker, icons, or desktop as needed.

When all your editing is done, you can logout and go back to your chroot terminal. Also you will still be su'd to knoppix, so press Ctrl +D to become root again.

You'll need to copy the edited settings into the skel directory

rm -rf /etc/skel/*
cp /home/knoppix/* /etc/skel
chown -R root:root /etc/skel
chmod -R 755 /etc/skel

You'll also want to copy the contents of knoppix's home to root's home. It's etiher /root or /home/root- can't remember now. Same procedure as above but different destination instead of /etc/skel.

Then you can move /home/knoppix outside of the chroot filesystem in case it needs further editing. Do this from a non-chroot terminal-

mv /mnt/hda#/path/to/your/source/filesystem/KNOPPIX/home/knoppix /mnt /mnt/hda#/path/to/save/modifiedhome

Back inside chroot:

cp /etc/resolv.conf.bak /etc/resolv.conf
rm /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Hope that works for you. I got it to work once, but there are menu-update scripts that can sometimes ignore/write over your changes and break some things. So it doesn't always work perfectly. let me know if you needed to edit a different WM instead of KDE.