PDA

View Full Version : How do I use mdsum?

jims
10-31-2003, 02:35 AM
Okay, I am probably even ruining whatever the checksum system is called. I downloaded 3.2. It ran fine on my e-machine (2.2 GHz, Celeron processor) and an older packard bell. (300 MHz. Cyprix processor.) But not everything on the disk ran. Just well enought to make me keep trying. So I downloaded Knoppix 3.3. Runs fine on the e-machine, with a few things that don't seem to work. On the packard bell, which is where I hoped to explore Linux before I did something critical to the other machine, I get as far as the boot prompt and the screen goes grey. And that's it.

I thought checking the quality of the download was the best place to start. Any suggestions where to learn more about how to use the checksum system?

Lamont
10-31-2003, 03:37 AM
Using md5sum is real easy once you find out how to use it. It took me a while to figure it out, too.

If you're using linux, open a konsole window and cd into the directory with the file you want to check (eg: cd /home/name/downloads)

Then type: md5sum filename
(replace filename with the complete name of the file you want to check)

After a short wait it will produce a long sequence of numbers and letters. Compare this with the checksum number given by the download site. They must match.

If you are using windows you'll need to download md5sum.exe (search google) and move it to the windows directory. Then it's Start>Run and enter 'md5sum filename' in the run box.

arkaine23
10-31-2003, 09:14 PM
How do you make an md5sum?

oscar
10-31-2003, 10:16 PM
How do you make an md5sum?

If you're using linux, open a konsole window and cd into the directory with the file you want to make an md5sum (eg: cd /home/name/downloads)

Then type: md5sum filename
(replace filename with the complete name of the file you want to make a md5sum)

After a short wait it will produce a long sequence of numbers and letters. This is your md5sum.

If you are using windows you'll need to download md5sum.exe (search google) and move it to the windows directory. Then it's Start>Run and enter 'md5sum filename' in the run box.

:roll:

jims
11-03-2003, 04:02 AM
I found a great utility that seems to do it. It is a drag and drop program. I think it called Winmd5sum, but it is made my eolsen@mit.edu.

arkaine23
11-03-2003, 04:48 AM
Thanks, I know how to do it in windows. Figures it would be incredibly simple to do in linux...