PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Support

7of12
10-31-2003, 07:51 AM
Does Knoppix Support NTFS Writing
As all my hdd are NTFS and i dont want to have to format one or partition one

Dave_Bechtel
10-31-2003, 07:57 AM
--Sorry, not at this point. Too dangerous. You could always buy a USB thumbdrive if you want to share files tho.

Does Knoppix Support NTFS Writing
As all my hdd are NTFS and i dont want to have to format one or partition one

7of12
10-31-2003, 08:00 AM
ok thanks
gotta find my 64meg USB memory Stick thing now
or Maybe External hdd

certifieduser
10-31-2003, 05:18 PM
you should be able to resize the NTFS partition using gnu gparted or gpart or nparted tools. look for features before you do any changes and do it at your own risk. once you resize the nfts partition and shrink it you can create a new FAT or FAT32 partition with that free space. once you have that FAT/32 partition you can write onto that partition from linux or mswin. the files that you uses between both the os should be kept there. hope this helps

just a note:
i have never used the above mentioned partition tools but have heard good things about it.
recently i used partition magic 8 to do exactly similar thing. f**ked up my hdd and gives lot of errors in mswin. i know in and out of hdd geomety and know its f**ked up and the only way i can fix is physically destorying it. i just tried shrinking partition to add a fat32 partition. the goal was not to put linux but something else.
so just beaware.

Dave_Bechtel
11-01-2003, 01:51 AM
--I'm glad I stayed with PartitionMagic 7.01, heard more than a few bad things about 8.x. There are a couple alternative progs out there besides the Knoppix/Debian tools but I haven't tried them.

--Go to PM's website and see if they have an update or patch.

http://www.partitionmagic.com/updates/

7of12
11-01-2003, 08:22 AM
actually i THINK i can "cheat"
in VMWare you can make a Virtual Disk and Format it etc to the OS it seems like there is a real hard drive there.

What are good and Very GUI (i am a n00b) Formatters/partitioners for linux

Edit
It is fine now
i made a Virtual Disk and Formatted it with the Win XP Setup to be Fat32