PDA

View Full Version : What modem should I get?

kipizit
11-01-2003, 12:48 PM
HI

I just tried out knoppix for the first time and quickly learned that it won't work (easily) with my modem (winmodem). Since I'm new to linux, I don't want to try of the "workarounds" for my modem-which "might" be possible.

So I'm thinking about getting a new modem, but am a bit unclear as to what I need. Searching pricewatch.com, I see many very cheap ($10) "hardware modems". Will any hardware modem work? I was hoping someone could post a specific modems that would work under Knoppix (without installing to the hard drive).The cheaper the better!

Thanks

MattT
11-01-2003, 05:04 PM
You can find what hardware works in Linux at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html
But don't worry most hardware modems work. When searching for non winmodems look for words like controller-based and hardware modem. One thing to know is that some hardware PCI modems use ttyS4. For Win/DOS users ttyS4 is com5. For some reason it is not standard for Linux distros to include ttyS4. So you might have to type this into a root shell:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV ttyS4
ln -s ttyS4 modem
chmod 777 modem
chmod 777 ttyS4
This will set up your default modem to run on ttyS4. But hopefully you will not have to do that.

SuperDuper
11-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi all
When buying a dial up modem (56k) I would like to suggest to always buy an external serial modem, for one it will free up a pci slot and second it will work with any OS, do not buy a USB modem as these are not a hardware modem.

Stephen
11-01-2003, 10:08 PM
For some reason it is not standard for Linux distros to include ttyS4.

It is not "standard" for Linux distributions because that is a non-standard port for a modem to be using.

MattT
11-02-2003, 03:34 AM
It is not "standard" for Linux distributions because that is a non-standard port for a modem to be using.

I must just be unlucky. Of the two different modems I have used in Linux both had this problem. Also it is common for someone to post on this forum that they can't get their hardware modem to work at all. I post the above script and usually they reply back that that did the trick. So even if it isn't standard I have seen it enough times that it would be nice if Linux distros checked for this.

kipizit
11-02-2003, 01:31 PM
So I'm thinking about getting a new modem, but am a bit unclear as to what I need. Searching pricewatch.com, I see many very cheap ($10) "hardware modems". Will any hardware modem work? I was hoping someone could post a specific modems that would work under Knoppix (without installing to the hard drive).The cheaper the better!

I came across this modem http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/1062381579124299/9/nc/Modem--Generic/1376/CenDyne%252056K%2520V%252E92%2520External%2520Inte rnet%2520Serial%2520DataFax%2520Modem%2520Bulk
on pricewatch.com. Its external, it mentions its rs232, and it claims to be linux compatable, but doesn't mention 'harware' or 'controller' based. It also seems very cheap-$12 (plus free shipping through pricewatch). Seems to good too be true.

Anyone care to guess if this would work with knoppix? 8^)

SuperDuper
11-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi kipizit
Buy that one as I said in my earlier post an external serial modem
is the best because it is genuine hardware, it will work with all
distributions of Linux and Windows etc.
Good price too Buy it!

sb73542
11-11-2003, 12:48 AM
I use a US Robotics "Performance Pro" modem. It's a little more expensive, but it works flawlessly in Linux and Windows, and is controller-based. Kudzu (hardware detection in Knoppix) will automatically configure it.

aravind
11-11-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi,

I have Motorola SM56 PCI/FAX modem. How do I make it work in KNoppix?