PDA

View Full Version : please reply fast! a noobish question!

mark1221
11-01-2003, 05:47 PM
hello!
i just installed knoppix using knx-hdinstall and went trough the install (i didn't create a boot floppy and i chose no when it asked about this Lilo or whatever) i created 2 partitions 1 (10gigs) of rlinux and the other one (3gigs) for the sap file, i have WinXP on my main partition, after i installed knoppix how do i use it? how o i boot into it?!
total noob!

i know there are tons of threads about it but i'm so dumb i can't understand a thing (well not that dumb i'm just new to linux), so can anyone tell me how to do it so when i'll restart the computer will prompt me if i want to use knoppix or XP! help me please!

rickenbacherus
11-01-2003, 05:58 PM
hello!
i just installed knoppix using knx-hdinstall and went trough the install (i didn't create a boot floppy and i chose no when it asked about this Lilo or whatever)

No boot floppy and you didn't install a boot loader either? Well that does make it difficult to boot Linux now doesn't it? BTW- there is a new improved installer called knoppix-installer.

I would suggest removing XP (oh sorry- natural reaction) you can leave XP on there. What you need to do is install LiLo to the MBR and you will have a dual-boot configuration. (you could edit ntldr for dual boot but I don't know how). You easily can reinstall LiLo like so:

1) Boot Knoppix cd

2) Mount the /root partition for example:
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

*NOTE* The /root partition is the one yuou installed Knoppix to.

3)chroot to the partition, chroot /mnt/hda2

4) Edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite editor

5) /sbin/lilo -v

Of course you may need some help editing /etc/lilo.conf. Post it here please and also tell us which partition you installed Knoppix to.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-01-2003, 07:03 PM
I would suggest removing XP

No, I think that's the problem right there....he he he

Just kidding.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Regards,

Dave_Bechtel
11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
--D00d, you don't need 3gigs for swap - maybe at most 512MB unless you're doing some really massive stuff.

hello!
i just installed knoppix using knx-hdinstall and went trough the install (i didn't create a boot floppy and i chose no when it asked about this Lilo or whatever) i created 2 partitions 1 (10gigs) of rlinux and the other one (3gigs) for the sap file, i have WinXP on my main partition, after i installed knoppix how do i use it? how o i boot into it?!
total noob!

i know there are tons of threads about it but i'm so dumb i can't understand a thing (well not that dumb i'm just new to linux), so can anyone tell me how to do it so when i'll restart the computer will prompt me if i want to use knoppix or XP! help me please!

albertfuller
11-03-2003, 01:42 AM
why don't you just boot the Knoppix cd again and reset you fstabs to what it should be then mount -a

now just create a boot disk and restart the machine with it