PDA

View Full Version : Preserving cheatcodes after HD-install

mocky
11-01-2003, 11:17 PM
I finally figured out that Knoppix does work fine with my Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 USB wireless device - IF i start it with the cheatcode noapic.

When I try to boot Knoppix without the noapic-cheatcode, the computer locks up while configuring the devices (the green progress bar). BTW, when I unplug my Linksys USB device, I can boot Knoppix just fine without any cheatcodes.

I now wanted to do an HD install. Problem is now that if I boot Knoppix with "knoppix noapic" and then do a HD installation, the HD installation apparently tries to boot without the "noapic" argument - and consequently locks up (no matter whether I use knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer and no matter whether I choose Debian-type or Knoppix-type).

The last lines in dmesg are
"usb vendor/product=77b/2219" - this is the Linksys device
"usb-uhci.c: interrupt, states 2, frame#1631"

I have an Athlon XP 1600 on a Via KT400 motherboard with onboard USB controller.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chris
p.s. I don't know much about Linux/Debian/Knoppix - so please explain like to a little child...

SuperDuper
11-02-2003, 03:07 AM
Have you tried entering the BIOS of your computer and disabling APIC in the menu, then do your HDD install without having to use any cheatcodes. Also try to establish if too many devices are sharing the same IRQ look at the BIOS boot screen as you switch on, find out which IRQ your USB device uses and see if some other hardware is using the same IRQ , try moving pci cards into diferent pci slots to see if they will assign different IRQs, also try turning on/off plug and play OS installed in BIOS.
One point I should like to make is try to avoid buying USB devices as most of them are designed to work with Windows and use software controllers, always try to purchase genuine hardware devices and you should'nt end up in this situation again.

L2Cache
11-02-2003, 05:44 AM
If you use lilo to boot knoppix, you can add any cheatcodes you want as an append in lilo. Check this post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075#4399