PDA

View Full Version : Nforce 2 Support

monkeywork
11-02-2003, 12:08 AM
i remember previously older versions of Knoppix did not work with the Nforce 2 boards (nic and sound not working). Was wondering if the latest version of the Live CD will work with my Asus A7N8X board properly without downloading outside drivers etc.

Stephen
11-02-2003, 02:52 AM
i remember previously older versions of Knoppix did not work with the Nforce 2 boards (nic and sound not working). Was wondering if the latest version of the Live CD will work with my Asus A7N8X board properly without downloading outside drivers etc.

Overclockix (http://overclockix.octeams.com/) has support for the Nforce2 boards you may want to check that out.

Drewby
11-02-2003, 05:09 AM
I was looking for the same thing.

I am downloading Overclockix now. Is it a live CD like Knoppix? Can it be installed to the HDD?

Are there any other versions with nForce2 support?

Thanks for the link! :)

arkaine23
11-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Overclockix is a remaster of Knoppix 3.2. I'll start working on a 3.3-based remaster in about a month I think. Though the technomancer iso is nearly 3.3 already as far as up-to-date software, it really only lacks the new cheatcodes, and it has a couple of bugs.

There are two iso's and I don't feel either of them is quite perfect. Here are the differences.

How overclockix is different from Knoppix:

1) Looks. The desktops are tweaked. It onlly has KDE, Fluxbox, Icewm, and Twm. I didn't feel it needed the others. There are quite a few of my favorite icons and wallpapers. Also it has a silver 3d cursor.
2) Less games. Most of the system games are gone. Sorry.
3) More applications, but I'll get to that in a second.
4) Drivers. I added Nforce2 drivers, lucent winmodem drivers, the intel/ambient 536ep modem driver, and the bcm4400 NIC driver (found on some kt400 motherboards).

The 2 iso's:

Eidolon- This one features many of the network security applications found in Knoppix STD. I also added Opera 7.11, and java and flash plugins, as well as many of fabianX's install-on-demand-into-ramdisk scripts, and aterm for transperant terminals in fluxbox or icewm. Also, I'm an overclocker so I like to add stabiulity testing/burn-in applications. It's got memtest, prime, cpuburn, lucifer, folding@home, and seti@home. Eidolon also has karamba and two themes.

Technomancer- This one has fewer of the network security testing apps, and more desktop-oriented stuff. Everything was apt-get upgraded to the testing distribution. Mozilla-firebird, OpenOffice 1.1, mplayer, codecs, and mplayer browser plugins, ogle and ogle-gui (for playing dvds). I did better with tweaking fluxbox in this one because I added eterm and was able to change the backgrounds and add more themes. Did a lot more tweaking to icewm too. Technomancer has 4 karamba themes. Only problem is some of the kicker icons don't work and some things in the kmenu don't either. Though you can get everything to work by launching it from the command line. I consider Technomancer and unstable media-orieted version, and I prefer it over Eidolon.

KDE pics:

Eidolon
http://overclockix.octeams.com/snapshot5.jpg

Technomancer
http://overclockix.octeams.com/snapshot7.jpg

sillihkram
11-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I downloaded both distro's Knoppix STD, and Your Version Of Overclockix and seems to be a bug... on the second version...

the help screen is not lined up right (tried it on 2 monitors, samsung 15" LCD and a 17" NEC CRT.)

not a big deal but anyways same thing I get with knoppix STD ..Just a Black Screen

I have tried various boot line commands but none seems to make a difference...

if anyone can help I would be pumped I want to use this bootable distro on my home pc...

info on my system:

MSI nvidia nforce n420 Mobo w/ AMD 1800+
Integrated sound, Lan, Video (disabled)
64 ddr SiS Video xaber200 (POS BTW)

when I try to boot knoppix-txt or fail safe it displays

loading vmlinuz ........................
loading miniroot.gz................
ready.
uncompressing linux ...

crc error

--System halted

*Thanks if anyone can help*

arkaine23
11-22-2003, 09:29 PM
I suspect your video card. Have you tried pulling out your video card and re-enabling the integrated video?

sillihkram
01-05-2005, 02:17 AM
yes I've tried pulling out my agp and using the integrated card and same black screen but after all this I've figured it out..

my burner has issues writing bootable CDs ...new burner and no problems... stay away from cyber drive I guess!

--Mark