PDA

View Full Version : kppp connect problem after HD install - works with live cd

gcoker
01-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Been running the live cd version of Knoppix for a couple of weeks. Connects fine to my ISP with kppp.

Loaded the 3.1 (20 Jan 03) version on to my HD, now it fails to communicate to the Internet. It connects to the ISP and times out. The live cd version (same disk that I loaded on the HD) still works fine, every time.

Queries the modem fine. Dials in, and apparently sucessfully logs on. Then times out. Double checked to see if any of the defaults were different between the two versions, but could not find anything. Fails with the network connect. Selected automatic everything, as the IP address is dynamic. Does not work with either root or another user. (Did not think it should make a difference, and it does not.)

I ran RH on the system before Knoppix with kppp and Mozilla, and did not have any kppp problems. I have to admit that I like the setup of kppp with Debian.

Probably something with the network settings, which I have not done anything with yet. If I could be aimed in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!!!!

Really like Knoppix. Use a Win95 (we won't go there) system at work. Use Knoppix to burn backup CDs on a Sony USB burner instead of transfering them across the network to a NT system to burn with Nero. Can boot up Knoppix and burn them off the Win drive as fast as I could transfer them to the file server. Does not tie up system resources, and I do not have to go the the NT computer 100 feet away. The live cd is nice for me because my company does not like their computers with "foreign" (non-Microsoft, non-supported) operating systems on them. I have RH 8 on another couple of systems at work off-network, and non-supported. RH does not cause too many waves in the corporate world. To be able to run Knoppix and have it "not leave a mark" is really nice for me. At least is saves me some explaination. I like the applications in the Knoppix enviroment. RH is okay but it does not have a number of applications that I want for my home system.

gcoker
01-31-2003, 01:38 AM
In the etc/ppp/options file the netmask 255.255.255.0 was disabled. It needs to be enabled.

Changed the option - everything works.