PDA

View Full Version : What file system?

Drewby
11-02-2003, 10:27 PM
When installing Knoppix to the HDD it asks what file system I want to use. What is the best for speed and reliability?

albertfuller
11-03-2003, 01:20 AM
I would always recommend the reiserfs. but if you are going to use it you have to use knx-hdinstall as knoppix-installer does not support reiserfs

reiserfs is a journaling file system it provides serious recovery and stability. I upgraded from ext2 to reiserfs maybe about 2 years now and I have never looked back

the only thing to be aware of is that using reiserfs with encryption does not fly with debian, its not recognized. I was using it with SuSE when I came to debian a few months now but it was a minor price to pay. Did a few reformat hard disk and installs until I figured out just to get rid of reiserfs encrypted hard disks.

xfs is also solid, also available with knx-hdinstall

so choose a journaling file system and enjoy

m_yates
11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Reiserfs is available with knoppix-installer as well. You have to manually edit the configuration file to choose between ext3 or reiserfs. The default is ext3.

The easiest way to do it is to set up your installation, save the configuration as a file like "myconfiguration". Quit the installer, then "emacs myconfiguration" to edit the configuration to use reiserfs. Save the changes and use that configuration file for your install.