PDA

View Full Version : why dosnt standard knoppix have f-prot antivirus?

reecegeorge
11-03-2003, 11:37 AM
hi there,

the standard knoppix cd dosnt have f-prot antivirus.

i have read in some of the posts here in the forum that some distros have it included.

why isnt it included on the standard knoppix?

my guess is the copyright issues but i cant be sure after reading the fprot license.

does anybody know if it is legal to distibute knoppix with fprot?

reece

zz9pluralzalpha
11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
1) Knoppix only includes freely redistributable software. My guess is that, as it is commercial software, f-prot isn't that free. The same is true of the Nvidia drivers.

2) Space is at a premium on knoppix.

3) Viruses really aren't a big problem on Linux. Even more so on a live-cd. You have to be pretty careless to get one in Windows.

If you're smart enough to be wanting antivirus software, you're smart enough not to download dubious software or open unsolicited e-mail attachments.

reecegeorge
11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
thanks for that,

its not really for me, i was thinking about making knoppix more marketable to windoze users and dont want to get into trouble down the road for copyright issues.

reece

ps i did catch this strange virus with M$ about a month ago that kept sending data from my machine every time i connected to the internet. :oops:

rickenbacherus
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM
. You have to be pretty careless to get one in Windows

hardly

hardware_bum
11-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Knoppix runs from the CD and does not touch the hard drive. Any virus corruption would only exist in RAM and would disappear when you cycle power.

If you are thinking about a HD install, then you might want virus protection, and you can download and install anything you want.

rneff
11-03-2003, 07:10 PM
There is no need for virus protection in linux. There are no viruses, and if you are smart enough to install and configure a virus protector for linux, then you are smart enough to keep your system secure without one.

arkaine23
11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
F=prot finds windows virii as far as I know. It woudl be useful to boot a knoppix cd and scan a windoqws hdd for virii without having to boot into windows now wouldn't it? Some remasters have a script that temporarily installs it to ram. I've tried using it and its not very easy to use.

reecegeorge
11-04-2003, 03:08 AM
but can i include f-prot on distributions without them busting me for a copyright violation?

hardware_bum
11-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Who better to ask than the developers? I suggest you contact f-prot and ask them about their licensing restrictions.

reecegeorge
11-05-2003, 01:39 AM
OK