PDA

View Full Version : newbie question on booting in windows 98

Steven Wallace
11-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Have Knoppix disk, but don't know how to change the startup file so that the CD drive is used for bootup. Understand that this is an initialization script, but don't know how to pull up. Want to retype the script so that the if the Knoppix disk is in, then Knoppix boots from the CD.

Superstoned
11-03-2003, 06:21 PM
there is no script you have to change. your COMPUTER has to boot from cd. this has to be changed in the BIOS. This is on-chip in your computer. when you boot, you'll see a message like "hit the DEL key to enter setup". It might also be F1, or another key - but this "setup" is the bios. there you can find something like "bootupsequence", in my pc it is "first boot device =" "second boot device =" etc.

good luck!

Jared
11-04-2003, 02:35 AM
I had/am having the same problem and I have a win 98 so it may help you to look at my chat messages under the title "earlier version of knoppix"
hope this helps

CrashedAgain
11-06-2003, 06:31 PM
This isn't really a win 98 issue, it's a BIOS issue. The BIOS settings come before the operating system is loaded. As indicated in the other posts, what you have to do is find out what key your computer uses to kick you into the bios settings (usually it's esc or F1) then change the settings so that it will boot from CD first before it tries to boot from the HD. You hold down the key as soon as you push the start button, don't wait for it to boot.

garyng
11-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Is it true that the loader of win98 can also be configure to boot mulitple OS(well at least run different BAT files) somehow, through the change of config.sys ?

I think the easiest way is to use loadlin combining with this feature.

warbuckle
11-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Hello Steven,

Set the "boot" option from your computers "BIOS", usually see "Press delete if you wish to enter setup", or some such on the black screen. It is not a Win 98 issue as said previously, set the machine to 1st boot device to your CD-Rom drive if able................

HTH
Will