PDA

View Full Version : Camera wrongly identified + related issues

almala
11-03-2003, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure if this problem is related to Knoppix/Debian or to gphoto2---or a mixture of the two! Whatever, I would really appreciate some guidance, especially as it all worked automagically under Mandrake 9.1.

There are three issues here:

1. I can only access the camera as root (though my user id is a member of the usb group).

2. The camera is identified by 'gphoto2 --auto-detect' as an 'Argus-DC2200' when it is in fact a 'Fuji @xia ix-100', which is supported in the KDE-Control Centre

3. Although wrongly identified gphoto2 will list the files on the camera but is unable to download them, returning:

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Error reading from the port'): No error description available
*** Error (-34: 'Error reading from the port') ***

Testing the camera in KDE Control Centre returns 'Unable to initialize camera... Could not claim USB device'.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks, almala

ktheking
11-04-2003, 02:16 AM
try gqcam (from menu)

almala
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but none of the graphical front ends make a connection.

However, after a rather muddled session with the gphoto2 manual I have some results:

1. I can access the camera as an ordinary user,

2. gphoto2 can be forced to recognise the camera correctly,

3. gphoto2 now downloads the photos.

I guess it was partly down to sorting out permissions(!), and possibly to some adjustments to the 'hotplug' setup, though what exactly that has contributed I'm really not sure.

So, command line all the way, but a result. :lol:

Cheers, almala