PDA

View Full Version : Accessing files in HOME directory?

RE Dude
11-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Following a logout and shutdown (day before last), I booted into Knoppix today and discovered that I could no longer access certain directories and files in my home directory. What happened between then and now? More importantly, how do I fix it?

Your help is much appreciated.

rickenbacherus
11-04-2003, 04:30 AM
Well you can easily change file permissions with chmod but...perhaps you could be a bit more specific? You can access some but not all of the files and directories in /home? You can find the permissions of files and directories like so:

ls -al /home/username

RE Dude
11-04-2003, 06:57 AM
That's right. I can only access some files and directories in /ramdisk/home/knoppix, but I can't imagine what changed from the day before and now. Previously, I could access those directories and files without restriction. After all, I created those directories and files myself.

By changing the file permissions, will this give me access to those directories and files as user knoppix? Currently, I can only see them from the root console screen.

What is the syntax for chmod? I haven't used it.

todsr1
11-04-2003, 09:47 AM
man chmod

dave_sussex
02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
That's right. I can only access some files and directories in /ramdisk/home/knoppix, but I can't imagine what changed from the day before and now. Previously, I could access those directories and files without restriction. After all, I created those directories and files myself.

By changing the file permissions, will this give me access to those directories and files as user knoppix? Currently, I can only see them from the root console screen.

What is the syntax for chmod? I haven't used it.

Are you saying that your home directory was on ramdisk? that isnt a permanent directory. You need to create a home directory on hard disk or floppy...On the 'K' menu choose Knoppix...configure...Create a persistant home directory...DO NOT CHOOSE TO USE WHOLE DISK unless you want to wipe windows <washes mouth out> partition.
See the DOCS for further info... Also after creating it you will need to use the cheat code 'home=/mnt/hda1' or whatever.
You can use Konqueror right click...properties menu to change permissions if you arent familiar with chmod.