PDA

View Full Version : knx-hdinstall and knoppix-installer failed on Dell GX270

bel_zh
11-04-2003, 11:53 AM
the Knoppix CD booted perfectly on this machine with two 120G SATA harddisk, but when I tried to installed it on hd using either knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer, it fails at 3-6% percentage task bar, then stuck.
anyone got any experience on GX 270 with this SATA harddisk(no other Linux distro can recognize it so far)?
I am thinking to do a poor man harddisk install since Knoppix can boot into toram or tohd or tocrom as usuall without any problem.
thanks if anyone can offer some tip.

Henk Poley
11-04-2003, 02:28 PM
the Knoppix CD booted perfectly on this machine with two 120G SATA harddisk, but when I tried to installed it on hd using either knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer, it fails at 3-6% percentage task bar, then stuck.
anyone got any experience on GX 270 with this SATA harddisk(no other Linux distro can recognize it so far)?
I am thinking to do a poor man harddisk install since Knoppix can boot into toram or tohd or tocrom as usuall without any problem.
thanks if anyone can offer some tip.
The Linux SATA driver is new in 2.6.0-test9. So I think you'll have to wait untill Klaus Knopper find 2.6 stable enough to use in Knoppix.

btw, it's not that Linux doesn't support SATA, it's just that SATA manufacterers don't support Linux :-(

A. Jorge Garcia
11-05-2003, 02:43 AM
Just today, I knoppix-installed a whole lab of 25 GX270s, no problem. I don't have SATA drives however....

Regards,

bel_zh
11-05-2003, 02:37 PM
OK, sorry for the nice nice Knoppix buddies here, but I installed Mandrake9.2 via network today, so far so good, it saved my ass and flied to the full functioning system within one hour...
If you guys had similar problem on the SATA harddisk, just grab the network_gigabit_usb.img file from the Mandrake9.2 tree and write to a floppy disk(network.img may also work, but I picked the former image since got an Intel Gigabit NIC on the Dell monster), insert the diskette and power recycle the machine, that is all.
I have tried various hackings in order to install the system, replacing kernel on the booting cdroms, customize the booting images.... here are some tips share with anyone interested:
1, Only kernel 2.4.22 (above?) has SATA support, 2.6test not tried.
2, Don't try to make your own boot CDROM, since something wrong with the CDROM mouting, and the installation will not find the CDROM.
3, Other possible installation on SATA machine: if the bios allowed(not the case for Dell), turn off the SATA feature, you can install RedHat9.0(kernel 2.20?). You can also try to make a home made boot image and install Debian from harddisk(not tried).

Have fun with Dell GX270. :-)