PDA

View Full Version : Freeze probing SCSI on wd7000.o

Warmboot
11-04-2003, 03:52 PM
I've been trying to run a L.A.S. Linux and Knoppix 3.3 on my Toshiba Portege 3505 with a Noteworthy PCMCIA DVD drive. In each case, the boot process stalls on probing SCSI - wd7000.o.

I've tried using the NOSCSI cheat, but it seems that the drive is accessed through SCSI emulation.

Since this laptop is used for work, I don't have the option of installing Linux to the hard drive. The machine doesn't have a floppy drive either. Is there anyway that I can run Knoppix from the CD drive on this machine?

rickenbacherus
11-04-2003, 09:56 PM
I've tried using the NOSCSI cheat, but it seems that the drive is accessed through SCSI emulation.

Booting w/ noscsi does not have any realtion to scsi emulation. Go ahead and boot w/ the noscsi cheat code. I always do anyway if there are no real scsi devices present on the system.

Warmboot
11-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Unfortunately, when I do that, I end up in the useless (to me anyway) shell.

rickenbacherus
11-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Honestly I have yet to hear of anyone getting Knoppix to boot from a pcmcia drive. I realize that you cannot install Linux to your work machine but if you can spare a meager 700M or so partition you could boot the compressed image from hdd as though it were booting from cd. You don't actually install anything but rather copy a 700M file to a fat32 partition. The instructions are here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo) if you'd like to try it.

Warmboot
11-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tip and the link. If I can get my hands on some decent repartitioning software, I might try it, but I'm more than a little nervous resizing an NTFS volume.