PDA

View Full Version : 3ware 7000 series ata raid controller

whitecracker
11-04-2003, 07:35 PM
I can boot up using the knoppix cd, and access my hard drive, but when i install using either the installer programs, (knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer) it wont boot correctly.. telling me i have a bad root= statement. I look at it and it says root=/dev/sda3 so it looks good, just doesnt boot! I was told 3ware supported linux? should i try new firmware for my controller?

tsaelee
11-04-2003, 08:28 PM
you are installing it on 3rd partition? Double check to see if you also have onboard SATA controllers - if it is, your 3Ware controller may not be the first "sdxx" device.

Also make sure you install the MBR. Assuming Knoppix is the only OS in your system.

whitecracker
11-05-2003, 06:36 AM
hmmm I checked and the 3ware is THE ONLY scsi or raid device I have. I was thinking though. Windows seems to recognize it as an ordinary hard drive doesnt it? Once the firmware on the 3ware controller builds the raid array, it is looked at as a normal HD? eH? I could be wrong. But when booting up with knoppix, it labels the hds as Sda.

SUOrangeman
11-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Sounds like you've got a problem similar to mine.

The drivers for your RAID controller are already built into the KNOPPIX kernel. Unfortunately, the initial RAM disk (initrd) doesn't have those same drivers to help the boot loader find the kernel. In other words, the boot loader doesn't have the drivers it needs to find the kernel. In your case, it doesn't matter that the kernel itself has the drivers built-in because we can even find the kernel!

Did you happen to make a boot floppy during the hdinstall? Does that work? (If you did, I'm not too confident that it would work anyway).

I've asked FabianX (via e-mail) to shed some light. Once I get a clue, I'll pass on the needed information.

For more on my situation, ...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5853

-SUO

harry565
03-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Is this topic still an issue? I am interested in purchasing a 3ware RAID controller but I would like to know if it will be money well spent when used with Knoppix. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Harry