PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix & ACPI

macguyvok
11-05-2003, 06:37 AM
Hey,

I have an HP PAvilion ze5385us Laptop. I run Knoppix v 3.3 (Nov-03-03 edition) from my laptop, and various other computers. I love it, especially if I need to let someone use my laptop, and I don't want them muckng up my preferences. Plus, I use knoppix as an emergency backup OS. (I'm always updating, and I use the laptop inclass constantly.) What I'm wondering is how do I enable ACPI on the cd? I know that ACPI works great under mandrake 9.1; 9.2, and I've gotten it to work under several other Linux Distro's. Does Knoppix even have acpi? If not, is there a chance that we would get a boot option for an ACPI enabled kernel? Just curious... as It would be great if I knew what percent my battery was at (no APM on laptop)....Thanks!

edit: Stupid Speilling errors... would you belive english is my first language? :P

francisco
11-05-2003, 02:23 PM
In order to have ACP available, you will have to recompile kernel, and apply a patch. HD Installation is required.

You can find the patch here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36832

detailed instructions about applying a patch and recompliling at:
http://freax.be/wiki/index.php/Installing%20RH9%20on%20a%20Compaq%20nx9010%20lapt op

Be careful chosing the correct patch, it should be 'acpi-20030916-2.4.22.diff' for knoppix 3.3 (kernel 2.4.22)

Good luck, and tell us whether it worked

macguyvok
11-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Well, the whole point is to be able to run the distro off the CD. If I did do a HD install, change it, would I be able to turn it back into an iso so I can burn it?

r00ster
11-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Just remaster Knoppix. When you do , you must recompile the kernel and enable ACPI. It is actually very simple:

Download the kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs_10.00.Custom_all.deb from http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/
All you need to do is change the .config file by enabling ACPI.
Do this by doing a "make menuconfig" enable ACPI under General Setup.
Save your configuration and exit.
Do a make dep; make bzImage.
Copy your bzImage file to the /boot directory as well as into the miniroot.gz file.
Make your appropriate links to the new kernel.
**If you made ACPI as modules you will have to make those and install them as well.

I have done this for my own version which also has firewire/usb support for booting from exteranl firewire/usb cdroms. So I can now boot from my Sony R505 which uses a firewire DVD/CDRW. Of course this requires a few more steps like modifiying the linuxrc file in the miniroot.gz file, etc.

serial.
12-31-2003, 08:56 AM
hello r00ster, I too have a sony r505 and have jumped through all the firewire cd-rom hoops. I've got gentoo running pretty well on it right now, though I'm getting kinda tired of spending days compiling things and have been itching to try something new... would it be possible for you to send me an image of the custom knoppix CD you made? or at least give me some hints about how to make my own... I'm not at all familiar with knoppix. any help would be very much appreciated! thanks

monceffnikov
03-25-2004, 04:44 PM
if anyone know where i could download knoppix image iso that boot from firewire cdrom,thanks ain advance.

JockVSJock
03-27-2004, 07:47 PM
What is the difference between ACPI and APM?

Does only ACPI wok with Knoppix?

I've got APM going in my kernel, but really doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also, how can I get output to a doc app to show what the battery life is or temp of cpu or just monitor heat issues with laptop?

thanks