PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix & VIA EPIA 5000- no display after splash screen?

adkmom
11-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi everyone-

I've run Knoppix on other PC's just fine- including my Dell laptop w/o issue.

Just got this EPIA itx board from Newegg & wanted to test it out w/Knoppix vs. the whole HD install deal. Just want to see everything works (memory, vid., snd, etc...).

I have a CD-ROM attached & it gets to the Knoppix splash screen (I'm using 3.1) then immediately I lose the display (black). The CD-ROM is chugging right along, probably going through the rest of the routine- but I cannot see it?

Side questions related to this: this is the first mobo I've had w/onboard video. What should be set as "init first"? If it says "PCI slot" but I have no PCI video card, does it then move on to find the onboard AGP?

If I see the splash screen, does that mean my mobo's video is probably OK? Or is the splash screen not being shown via the onboard video at all?

Please help asap? I may need to RMA quickly if there turns out to be a problem with this board. Email as well as post & I'll be sure to get it.

Thanks all!

Mom

chrisb
11-05-2003, 04:15 PM
I had the same on a VIA EPIA M where the text screen res wasn't supported by my monitor. It was OK once X11 started. After a hard disk install I changed the video mode line in /etc/lilo.conf. I don't know a way round on a CDROM boot unless you play with the cheat codes -- if that's your problem.

adkmom
11-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Here I am-

Back to solve (sort of) my own problem. I hauled all of the hardware upstairs to plug into my 19" monitor- & Knoppix booted up fine.

So, it isn't recognizing my little 9" monitor. It's actually one of the "point-of-sale" monitors used at cash registers- though it's color & quite nice. The funny thing is that I've used Knoppix on these in the past & they worked fine.

Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor? I'm in the process of creating a case mod that will include the display as part of the unit. This is why I want to use something smallish.

Thanks!

Mom

chrisb
11-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor?

Since I'm not prepared to reboot ATM to check, I'd say "something with 640x480 in it" :-)

adkmom
11-05-2003, 07:09 PM
I'll do the usual later on & let you know. I'm just relieved as hell that the video works- yay!

Getting no display meant I couldn't shut Knoppix down properly & right now I'm running the board, out of & sitting on it's box (no case as yet). I have two jumpers (on the power pins) connected to two pieces of bell wire & a momentary switch to power up so it's not an easy task to "simply" restart or shut down. I have to kill power at the surge strip as my Foxconn 200wt. PS has no power switch.

It's all fun, though. I must be demented, eh? Lol.

Mom

Stephen
11-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Here I am-

Back to solve (sort of) my own problem. I hauled all of the hardware upstairs to plug into my 19" monitor- & Knoppix booted up fine.

So, it isn't recognizing my little 9" monitor. It's actually one of the "point-of-sale" monitors used at cash registers- though it's color & quite nice. The funny thing is that I've used Knoppix on these in the past & they worked fine.

Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor? I'm in the process of creating a case mod that will include the display as part of the unit. This is why I want to use something smallish.

Thanks!

Mom

You could try knoppix noddc vga=normal screen=640x480.

adkmom
11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
"You could try knoppix noddc vga=normal screen=640x480"

I get the rest of it, but what does the "noddc" abbreviation refer to?

Mom