PDA

View Full Version : USB adsl modem setup with live CD

david_l
11-06-2003, 12:17 AM
I've a Knoppix newbie (about 2 weeks experience), but I'm hooked!

One of the first things I wanted to do was connect to the Internet using my USB adsl modem (Fujitsu 310), but it wasn't clear to me how to do this. Tried ADSL configuration on the K-menu, but no joy. Looked around, couldn't find a "how-to" guide for newbies on this. However, I eventually worked it out, so thought that a step-by-step summary for other newbies might be useful. Note that, as a newcomer to Linux, I don't necessarily know _why_ some of these steps are necessary (e.g. "make" then "make install") or even if they _are_ all necessary. But they worked for me! So here goes:

(1) In Windows, download eciadsl-usermode-0.8.tar.gz from eciadsl.flashtux.org

(2) Boot KNOPPIX CD

(3) Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory (under "configure" in KNOPPIX menu)

(4) Logout KNOPPIX

(5) Reboot KNOPPIX - type "knoppix home=/dev/hda1"

(6) Copy eciadsl-usermode-0.8.tar.gz from your Windows disk to /home/knoppix (i.e. your home directory)

(7) Open a Console window and type "su" to change to root user

(8) Type "passwd" to set root password

(9) Type "tar zxvf eciadsl-usermode-0.8.tar.gz" to extract files from archive

(10) Create a new directory into which the modem-operating files will be written: type "mkdir mymodem" where mymodem is the name of your modem (or any name you choose)

(11) Type "cd eciadsl-usermode-0.8.tar.gz" to change to the directory containing the extracted files

(12) Type "./configure --prefix=/home/knoppix/mymodem" - this step is important, as it ensures that the files generated by the next two steps will be written to your mymodem directory and not to the read-only KNOPPIX file system

(13) Type "make" then "make install" - new directories mymodem/bin and mymodem/doc will have been created

(14) Type "cd .." then "cd mymodem/bin"

(15) Type "./eciconf.sh" to invoke the adsl modem configuration program

(16) Fill in the info pertaining to your modem and ISP account; if you don't know the answers, most of it can be obtained from your Windows adsl modem configration program. In the UK, VPI=0 and VCI=38. Selecting your modem type from the list will complete the VID and PID entries for you. The PPP mode can again be ascertained from your Windows configuration - for me the default VCM_RFC2364 was correct. You can probably leave the "Update provider DNS:" box alone.

(17) Click on "Create config!", then on "Quit"

(18) Make sure that you are root (prompt should start with "root", then type "./startmodem" - all being well, this should connect you to the Internet!

(19) Make sure that you save your KNOPPIX configuration to /mnt/hda1, by using the menu item under "KNOPPIX"

(20) Next time you reboot, type "knoppix home=/dev/hda1 myconf=scan". Once booted, to connect to the Internet again just type "sudo ./fujitsu/bin/startmodem" in a Console window. Tip: if the connection fails, try disconnecting the modem (pull out the USB plug) and try again.

Hope this is useful to someone...

sgPenguin
11-15-2003, 05:42 AM
8) cool... This helped me a lot. Thanks! :wink:

novasoy
12-02-2003, 01:52 PM
I tried this solution and received an error message in the "create home directory" utility saying that NTFS partitions are not writable. I'm running Win2K at home and my whole disk is NTFS. I'm searching the boards for another solution until I can load Mandrake on a new box. Thanks for the idea though.

b_rimes
12-02-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm using a Speedstream 5200 USB modem. I looked at the site eciadsl.flashtux.org and didn't see any speedstreams or anything from efficient networks listed. I haven't tried the steps yet, and before I do I was wondering if this method would still work for me. Thanks!!!

also, relating to step 16, where do i get all the information I need?

Kwakkie
12-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi... I'm from belgium :-)
My Question:
I have A ADSL USB modem from "Asus" but i can't connect to the internet, can some one solve my problem? It has to be a solution without writing to my hard disk, cause my disk partitions are NTFS and i read that storing data with knoppix on such a disk, can give lost of data.

Is it possible to connect??
Plz help :)

|Show|
01-05-2004, 04:50 PM
i've got that Fujitsu 310 modem and its installed OK, but when i "./startmodem" it says the modem isnt found!