PDA

View Full Version : locales in knoppix

datakid
11-06-2003, 05:44 AM
hokay, so I'm doing ok with this knoppix stuff, and I've just had to knx-hdinstall some p1 166 machines with 64 M ram (tip: boot into run level 2 with 'knoppix 2' at initial boot prompt, then do the hdinstall).

The reason for all of this is that my work (http://www.computerbank.org.au) needed to get some computers happening in russian (cyrillic) for a coupla russian pensioners over here in oz, and the locale set when you login each user for the first time was a godsend - two users, one english, one russian, with english in root.

Then, they wanted printing. That's been a pain in the arse - all the documentation is outta date, or in russian, or both.

Eventually I got a response from a dude (d.coffin@cybercom) that did some work a few years ago:

Anyway, times have changed. Stay away from KOI-8,
CP-1251, and other 8-bit encodings. Unicode, and more
specifically UTF-8, is the way of the future.

If your secondhand computers are fast enough to run
KDE and KOffice, your problem is solved. The other day
I needed to print some Russian text, and did so with no
more difficulty than a Windows user would face.

Run KDE. Switch the keyboard map to Russian. You
can choose a couple of layouts -- ITsUKEN is the standard
in Russia, while YaVERTY maps Russian letters to their
phonetic equivalents. A Russian flag in the lower right
corner indicates which keymap is active. You can click
it with the mouse to switch back to English.

So I thought I had solved all my problems. But no, we are not happy - while almost everything on the desktop is in russian, and large parts of kde menus and the control centre are in russian, I cannot for the life of me get russian chacters in OO/abi or the recommended kword.

does anyone have any ideas? Is it because the knoppix I used (3.2, circa may 03, I think), while locales are very well organised (I can get the russian flag that I was informed about, and I can use KOI-8/UTF etc), does not actually come with russian (cyrillic) fonts?...I mean, the control centre offers a lot, but it bloody will not come out, on screen, in russian...

btw, knoppix.ru (http://www.knoppix.ru) looks cool, but once again, wrong language, and these ppl we give computers to are not brain surgeons, ya know...