PDA

View Full Version : 3com 3c900b-TPO NIC doesn't work

Frost
01-30-2003, 12:08 PM
hi,
I just installed knoppix and I'm quite happy the X server works 'cause I wasn't able to make it run with a normal debian installation but now I have another problem. My 3c900b-TPO network card isn't recognized by knoppix (I think it's something with the kernel because when I installed Debian with the 2.4 kernel it didn't work neither (with the 2.2 kernel it worked immediatly...)).
I found a driver on the net that should be able to fix this problem but I can't get it installed. (http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html)
I had to make some changes because of depricated code in the source something about holloc.h (halloc.h??) and slab.h or something like that. The compiling of the driver went fine but when I want to install it I get this message:

root@frost:~/3com/3c90x-102# insmod /root/3com/3c90x-102/3c90x.o media_select=7
Warning: loading /root/3com/3c90x-102/3c90x.o will taint the kernel: no license
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
/root/3com/3c90x-102/3c90x.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

does someone know how to fix this...I really want to go on the net with my knoppix installation...

thx,
Frost

Hermanh
01-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I had the same problem with a 3c509 NIC.
I found out that it was solved by typing
modprobe 3c509in the rootshell (K -> knoppix -> rootshell)
I would suggest you try

modprobe 3c900
Succes

Frost
01-30-2003, 05:59 PM
I think I tried that already. I got an error like no such file or something like that. I'm now not able to boot in Linux to try it 'cause when I boot in it I can't resist trying everything and I have exams tomorrow :?. I'll try it again tomorrow, but like I said I think I already did that.
And why should an old kernel support my card without any problems and a new kernel not? Verry strange...but anyway...I'm back to my books...
c ya,
Frost

Hermanh
01-31-2003, 03:35 AM
Well, every module needs space on the CD. If it's not in the kernel it takes a littlebit less space. In Knoppix space is limited. So perhaps for that reason.