PDA

View Full Version : Dual Booting :)

Gremlix
11-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi all,

How can I make a Dual-Booting works? I have Knoppix 3.3 and Lycoris Update 3 on the same HD (different Partition, ofcourse :) )

Thanking you in advance. :)

Gremlin

rickenbacherus
11-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

How can I make a Dual-Booting works? I have Knoppix 3.3 and Lycoris Update 3 on the same HD (different Partition, ofcourse :) )

Thanking you in advance. :)

Gremlin

My answer: Install a boot loader to each partition you want to boot and add an entry for it in your boot loaders configuration file. It's that easy. If you want a better answer, then how about a little more to go on here. If you want a serious answer it is best to ask a serious question. ;)

Post your partition table, tell us what OS is in which partition. Are you using LiLo to boot or GRUB or SBM or.........?? Which OS can you currently boot? If you're using LiLo post your /etc/lilo.conf file. If you're using GRUB then post the GRUB configuration file (I forget what it's called and I'm too lazy to look).

Kethinov
11-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Here's a guide on how to configure GRUB or LILO: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap23

Skip the emerge stuff, that's Gentoo portage system only. Once you get GURB/LILO installed, the Gentoo guide is pretty much just what you need.

(I use dualboot Win2k+Gentoo at home and dualboot WinXP+Knoppix at work ;))