PDA

View Full Version : Change startup options

mpeters13
11-07-2003, 06:59 AM
During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?

bafl
01-10-2004, 11:10 AM
dear, I have the same problem but just the other way around. I installed Knoppix on a low-fat laptop computer without the graphical model. I changed the settings in "knoppix-autoconfig.ch" (etc/bin from the root) to startup in iceWM instead of KDE (my computer cannot cope with KDE (P-celeron 266MHz, 32 Mb). Now i want to login in the graphical mode, becaust my screen doesn't display the whole text-mode and i have to login without seeing the textline.

Can somebody help us... how doe a newbie have to change the startup settings from text2graphical mode or the other way around!

gre Bas

Stephen
01-10-2004, 03:55 PM
During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?

apt-get remove kdm and you should get to login to the console everytime and you may be able to instead dpkg-reconfigure kdm and check to see if there is a question in the setup to not start the display manager on boot I'm not sure about this one though can't remember if there is such a question.

baldyeti
01-10-2004, 04:01 PM
You can edit (as root) /etc/inittab and set the initdefault level to 2 instead of 5. You might also have to delete any /etc/rc2.d/S*kdm file.

arkaine23
01-10-2004, 09:23 PM
For booting the live CD, you can alter the default cheatcodes prior to buring by using a program called knoppix-customize, which is available for windows and linux.

For hdd-installs, I'd edit /etc/inittab and change default runlevel to 2, then select the WM to start with the command startx by creating a /home/knoppix/.xinitrc file.

mpeters13
01-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all of the help. It's really appreciated!!!