PDA

View Full Version : How to customed my Knoppix system used based on CD

nissen
11-07-2003, 07:04 AM
It's so great to get Knoppix CD and run Debian's like Linux system on my computer.And i think this will greatly help me to study linux system conveniently.
But it really bad to find that software enpacked in the CD can't satisfied me.For example,when i want to see realplay format movie,all comes out with the Knoppix CD is dispair.
So,here i wonder the solution for the upper problem---how can I add some new software according to my need?And i think,1000 persons will have 1000 kinds of different needs.Just one version Knoppix CD obviously won't satisfied those needs.I mean,this problem early or late must be settled down.
Because i am not come from a English spoken nation,and also a greenhand to linux ,so allow me to make some mistake either in grammer or in technical.
Anyone professional could answer my question here?
BTW:it's really hard for me to have access to this site,will you do me a favor to mail your answer to my mailbox: bugoo_cat@163.com
Thanks again! :oops:

Air-Op
11-07-2003, 09:41 AM
I just booted knoppix
Type:
knoppix dma
it came up.

Started the shell (konsole button)
Hit shell button:
it came up.

Typed su:
it logged me on as root

Typed knoppix-<tab> (I forgot the name)
It was something like knoppix-installer
Went through the configuration wizard

rebooted..
(took out cd)

It came up! Yay!
I had to run
netcardconfig to get network to run

Then I did:
apt-get update
then
apt-get upgrade

and I don't know what to do with all of the options apt asks me about... but I looked at the differences and accepted all of the new versions... and then rebooted to check to see if everything worked... and it did! (well I had to tweak my xf86 configuration for my super old computer that I did this on... specifically make it not test so many settings before getting to the right one!... and my mouse didn't work but setting the proticol to IMPS/2 worked)

Now... I just have to figure out how to use the terminal server to do something usefull other than mount my cd-rom drive... but that looks like just editing the miniroot file... or actually make a direct rip of the knoppix cdrom and mount the iso as /cdrom so I can use my cdrom for other things...

Installing other software is SUPER easy...
apt-get update
apt-cache search %what you want%
apt-get %what apt-cache said% -u

It for the most part installs and works!
even better so than on my start from the sarge installer... and WAY better than woody installer.

Part of the goodness of knoppix is it has a great /etc/apt/sources.list file! so the apt finds what you want!

baldyeti
11-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Start reading here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

nissen
11-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Be back to see there are so many warm-hearted people here.Maybe that's the goodness of the forum.
Thanks again! 8)