PDA

View Full Version : some serious probs with knoppix!

knoppers
01-30-2003, 01:06 PM
1) I cannot write on my hd: I've got IBM 8 GB: one partition formatted as ntfs, one as ext2 and one as swap! Both linux part are at the end of HD. I already tried to mount the hd as writeable but no succes: always the same response: cant write to harddisc. HD is attached to a promise controller 100!
2) DSL prob: I saved my config file on disc (with the DSL config) and tried to load the config next time with knoppix floppyconfig but DSL wont work. I always get the error similar to that: eth0 ... timeout? I have two eth controllers: one for inet, one for homelan under winxp! Then again I have to type in my username etc... It is annoying..
3) mouseproblem: wheel doesnt work. I ve got logitech mouseman optical. changing xf86config-4 file doesnt work: cant save the changed file! booting with knoppix wheelmouse doesnt work as well.
4) cant change the frequency above 60Hz. I ve got voodoo3 and monitor syncmaster 17glsi?? It works at 1024*768 but not in the right frequency!
already tried to change the frequency under root with hvfrequency or similar: no effect!

THX for help!

cheers

knoppers

stonent
01-30-2003, 04:21 PM
You won't be able to write to the NTFS partition because it is disabled as NTFS support in linux is still very experimental. You can however safely read from it. If you want to access the ext2 partition try:

mount -t ext2fs /dev/hda2 -o remount

(assuming it is hda2)

knoppers
01-30-2003, 05:39 PM
I'll try it! I didnt want to access the ntfs partition! :shock: Just wanted to write onto the ext2 part!

Loper
01-30-2003, 08:43 PM
<snip>
...can't change the frequency above 60Hz.
</snip>

It's the video driver. I experience the same problem with my GeForce2 MX. Interestingly, my SIS 620 integrated graphics system does 75Hz just fine, as does my friend's GeForce 256. Oh, well...

knoppers
01-31-2003, 05:17 PM
thanks so far for your help.. any ideas about DSL?? I can live with 60 Hz and a mouse without wheel but I cannot stand the fact that I have to type in all my DSL details everytime I boot knoppix... :?