PDA

View Full Version : saving graphic resolution

dex
11-07-2003, 12:05 PM
I've a strange problem with graphic resolution.
I'll try to explain my view.

I'm using a sony vaio laptop (ATI Radeon) and I've the 3.3 version of 29th of september.
I'm a brand newbye of linux (I'll use knoppix to study it)

I launch knoppix from CD without any problem and it start. All hardware is perfectly configured.
The resolution appears something like 1024x768 or 800x600 (I don't know how to verify it).

I set Italian language and save knoppix configuration on a floppy.
I restart with "floppyconfig" cheat code (see note below) and I see the resolution at 640x480.

I've seen in the Control Center that the resolution is set effectively 640x480, but I see this also when the resolution is higher (at the 1st boot).

In any case I change it, before rebooting (needed because we cannot restart the X11 session), I save the configuration on the floppy but ...
We have the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

dex

Note.
I think that the message appearing after saving the configuration on the floppy is not correct; it talks about a "myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" that it doesn't work.

dex
11-07-2003, 03:46 PM
I've found a trick but it is not the best.
You can create a boot floppy where to define the resolution (as append statement to the boot).
see www.cclug.org/wiki/Main/KnoppixTricks
It works but you need a floppy.

Any better idea?

At the moment my best is to open the saved config file and to try to understand the content. I cannot immagine what to find into.

dex

dex
11-10-2003, 12:32 PM
I found another more useful trick.
if you lanch knoppix with the SCREEN cheatcode, the system save right configuration, so if you save config you save your resolution.

This should work.

dex

A. Jorge Garcia
12-17-2003, 01:37 AM
Anyone know how to change the X resolution on an hdinstalled system (knopiix-installer as debian)?

TIA,