PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 3.3 hdd install and user accounts...

heathenx
11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
hello,

i just removed red hat 9.0 from my dual boot (windows) machine and have decided to do a hd install of knoppix 3.3 instead. i love knoppix but i'm still new to it and there are a few things to learn.

my question is: can i set up mutiple users in knoppix and if so how do i get a boot up login dialog so i can boot into that user's account. i would also like to boot into the root account to manage my system rather than "su root" in the "knoppix" user account.

oh, by the way. i kind of goofed up my partitions for linux. i meant to have all of them ext3, however, my "/" partition is the only one that is ext3. my swap and boot partition are ext2. is that a bad thing?

thanks in advance :?

SUOrangeman
11-07-2003, 02:41 PM
To create users from the command line, check the manual pages for 'useradd' or 'adduser'. As you can imagine, 'userdel' (or similar) will get rid of accounts.

KDE probably has its own GUI for user management as well (which would not be unique to KNOPPIX).

Chances are that yout swap partition isn't ext2 nor ext3. Swap partitions tend to have their own filesystem.

Anyway, I think you can convert ext2 partitions to ext3 with the 'tunefs -j' command.

None of this information is specific to KNOPPIX and should work on most any current Linux distribution.

-SUO

heathenx
11-07-2003, 04:20 PM
ahh...thank-you for the ext2 to ext3 tip.

another question: if i add another user how do i get the login screen (similar to red hat 9's login screen) at boot up? when i log into knoppix and then click the logout fron the start menu, it shuts me down rather than poping up a login dialog box.

cato606
11-07-2003, 06:51 PM
i just installed Knoppix 3.3 and have a similar problem...

when i boot knoppix it logs user knoppix in automatically. i created an account in the kuser thing but when i log user knoppix out it shuts down my computer. how do i have it go to KDM instead?