PDA

View Full Version : network (tcp) connection via USB-cable?

strogon42
01-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Does Knoppix support this?

What do I have to configure manually?

Is there any documentation on this available?
(I searched the FAQ and the forum for "usb network")

background of my question:

The notebook of a friend has a presumably broken broken harddisk and windows does not start any more. I want to save the data on my
computer via network. But the notebook does not have a ethernet interface and I don't possess a PCMCIA card either.

The computer at the other end can boot either W200 or Linux and has a USB 1.0 interface.

Many thanx in advance!

German:

Wird dies von Knoppix unterstützt?

Was muss ich selbst konfigurieren?

Gibt es irgendwo Anleitungen dazu?
(Habe schon FAQ und Forum nach "usb network" durchsucht)

Hintergrund meiner Frage ist:

Die Festplatte des Notebooks einer Bekannten scheint teilweise defekt zu sein (windows startet nicht mehr) und ich will die Daten auf meinen Computer sichern. Leider besitzt das Notebook keine Ethernet-Schnittstelle und ich habe auch keine PCMCIA-Karte.

Der PC am anderen Ende kann entweder unter W2000 oder Linux laufen und hat eine USB 1.0 Schnittstelle.

Dave_Bechtel
01-30-2003, 07:35 PM
--Yep, at least it does with my Farallon cable. Just plug it in before booting. When you get to a root prompt (Ctrl-Alt-F1):

' ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 up ' == Or whatever is appropriate

' ping 10.0.0.2 ' == Ping CLIENT box with numeric IP

--You should be able to FTP over to the other box now and upload files, altho with FTP you lose the original date+time on the files. You could also "tar" it over an ssh connection as well. (Anybody got an example of this? I got it working a couple of months ago but I dunno if it's even in my bash_history anymore.)

--BTW - with the Windows directory I'd make a "zip" (' man zip ') copy if you can, and then upload the zipfile. I've had problems restoring Windows directories that were uploaded file-by-file, Win complains about DLL's being mismatched.

Does Knoppix support this?

What do I have to configure manually?

Is there any documentation on this available?
(I searched the FAQ and the forum for "usb network")

background of my question:

The notebook of a friend has a presumably broken broken harddisk and windows does not start any more. I want to save the data on my
computer via network. But the notebook does not have a ethernet interface and I don't possess a PCMCIA card either.

The computer at the other end can boot either W200 or Linux and has a USB 1.0 interface.

Many thanx in advance!

German:

Wird dies von Knoppix unterstützt?

Was muss ich selbst konfigurieren?

Gibt es irgendwo Anleitungen dazu?
(Habe schon FAQ und Forum nach "usb network" durchsucht)

Hintergrund meiner Frage ist:

Die Festplatte des Notebooks einer Bekannten scheint teilweise defekt zu sein (windows startet nicht mehr) und ich will die Daten auf meinen Computer sichern. Leider besitzt das Notebook keine Ethernet-Schnittstelle und ich habe auch keine PCMCIA-Karte.

Der PC am anderen Ende kann entweder unter W2000 oder Linux laufen und hat eine USB 1.0 Schnittstelle.

strogon42
01-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Ah, I see. I naively thought that a normal USB cable would suffice :-(

Just checked linux-usb.org for supported cables and it seems they differ only in the network device you have to use. One should find out about this in /proc/net/dev.

As my friend told me, she uses a USB cable to connect to her boyfriend's desktop computer I surmise he/she owns such a special cable with a network adapter.

BTW: does Knoppix not support hot-plugging of USB devices?

Thanx for your answer!

Dave_Bechtel
01-31-2003, 05:58 PM
--Heh; with USB, it's "try it and find out..." :wink:

--The reason I suggested plug-b4-boot is so it gets autodetected right from the start. AFAIK, you *should* be able to hotplug, but I've had problems with PCMCIA here and there under Linux, and only attempt hotplug with those cards if nothing critical is going on. You should be safe with USB tho.

BTW: does Knoppix not support hot-plugging of USB devices?

Thanx for your answer!