PDA

View Full Version : KDE problems

grzegorz
11-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Hello.

I am trying to create a version of knoppix cd that contains my program. Everything works (mostly) with the exception of kde. Whenever I boot from the new cd it says that there is not enough memory for kde or configuration settings are wrong.

I never touched those config settings and that computer has a gig of ram (plus 2 gig swap file).

Can someone please tell me what's the best way to debug the problem. Other than a small window saying there is not enough memory, I have no other information.

I did remove openoffice (apt-get remove) in order to have enough room for my program. Could that have done something to kde?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Grzegorz

grzegorz
11-07-2003, 11:58 PM
In case anyone wanders. Somehow I managed to remove kde. The only thing I remember removing is openoffice.

The debian package system (especially the dependencies) need a bit of work ;-)

CrashedAgain
11-09-2003, 04:43 AM
I agree, I think the packages need a bit of work.
Just try installing kpat (the KDE solitaire game) to the KDE package that comes with Knoppix. It is going to REMOVE KDE and all existing KDE packages as part of installing this silly little game! I think what happens is it wants to upgrade some lib that is needed for all of KDE but to upgrade it it must first remove the existing lib which trashes everything that depends on it. and it doesn't know enough to restore them following the upgrade. I reported this to KDE as a bug but the response was it's a distribution problem not a KDE problem. I think the problem is actually with dpkg. I suppose I should try to report it but I haven't yet. Maybe they are already aware of it as the same problem arises with other KDE packages too.
Actually, I have had a lot of problems trying to upgrade packages and have learned to be very careful, apt-get & dpkg can turn into Freddy the package slasher real easy.

freeballer
11-09-2003, 03:49 PM
while remastering after the kde packages in unstable went from 3.1.3->3.1.4
I had the same issue while removing koffice, it wanted to remove kdebase+
the trick of course is to hold the current version. Had no problem using synaptic for my remaster...
the problem I find it that there isn't an "archive" of the unstable branch so when a new version of kde (for example) comes it has a hard time distinguishes the two versions and craps out. I can't even get ksysguard installed cause it needs the rest of the updates and no copy for 3.1.3-1

Stephen
11-09-2003, 09:19 PM
while remastering after the kde packages in unstable went from 3.1.3->3.1.4
I had the same issue while removing koffice, it wanted to remove kdebase+
the trick of course is to hold the current version. Had no problem using synaptic for my remaster...
the problem I find it that there isn't an "archive" of the unstable branch so when a new version of kde (for example) comes it has a hard time distinguishes the two versions and craps out. I can't even get ksysguard installed cause it needs the rest of the updates and no copy for 3.1.3-1

You can always try the snapshot (http://snapshot.debian.net/) at Debian to get older removed packages for the ksysguard try here (http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianKDE) for the libsensors that is needed.

trisct
12-14-2003, 07:21 PM
I have the same problem with 3.3

It boots but cannot start KDE, not enough memory. I have an Athlon system with 512M RAM, so that cannot be the real reason. If I run kdeinit from the input prompt, it cores.

What's missing - KDE must be working for some of you guys out there, but I've seen so many posts about this memory problem.