PDA

View Full Version : Issue with installation of last release

Alberto
11-07-2003, 08:17 PM
I tried to install debian on my laptop without success. I wasn't able to start xserver. I found knoppix and installed It... and -almost- everythig started working.

The first release I installed was 3.3 (previous one) and I didn't have any trouble with knx-hdinistall but how I was unable to make the sound work, and also had some freezings stopping x (due to my chipset vga f***ing sis650) I deleted all and tried to install the latest update (11-2003).

I didn't check md5sum, but the CD seems to work fine. When I tried to install It with hdinstall, the windows with options don't show the text completely, and after 2-3 options (exactly chosing swap partition) installation stops and returns to console...

My question is easy: Someone has had the same issue or this is perhaps dou to a wrong download?

Thanks from Spain!!!

Alberto

heathenx
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
i believe you want knoppix-install and not knx-hdinistall...

MercX
11-19-2003, 03:41 AM
Hello... I am a complete linux newbie. I have been playing with knoppix from the live cd for about the past month now and I want to actually install this to the hard drive of my dell inspiron 8000.

I have successfully installed this once before but I don't remember what I was reading or how I did it at the time.

I now have the latest version 11-14-2003 and I can't get anywhere using knoppix-installer.

The only two options I get are Partition and Quit. I already partitioned the drive but now where do I go?

The last time I did this I got a little form or what not before the install even started asking who the username and all would be and also whether I wanted Debian Style or Knoppix style. Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong and help me out.

Also I need it so that once it is installed it runs with 1600x1200 as the resolution from the very beginning. On my last install, once everything was installed I kept trying to switch resolutions to 1600x1200 but to no avail. Though if I run it from the cd on boot with the commands: "knoppix lang=us screen=1600x1200" everything runs fine. So I want to set it up with those commands on boot from the hard drive. Can this be done?

Alberto
11-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Well, I solved It last week, but I couldn't write before... sorry.

Using knoppix-intall almost everything rignt. Only had trouble partitioning the hd because the installprog didn't understand I'd already done partitions...

I searched the forums and found a "sticky" with solution.

Thanks.

Alberto

kgw
11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
I now have the latest version 11-14-2003 and I can't get anywhere using knoppix-installer.

The only two options I get are Partition and Quit. I already partitioned the drive but now where do I go?

I am doing my install and see all 6 options in the install menu but my nephew, doing his, sees only Partition and Quit in the install choices menu. After going through the partition routine, he is told "Opened disk read-only, you have no permission to write."

He is doing a fresh install of Knoppix only on a hard drive that has no OS installed at all although it was formatted, likely with windows, to wipe out what had been on it before.

Can someone give me a hint where we are getting off track?

Thanks.