PDA

View Full Version : Vaio PCG-GRV680 DVD-/+RW CD-RW Combo Drive

gonefishing
11-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Able to boot using PXE on our home lan. My goal is to install Knoppix on the hard disk but only if I am able to utilize the DVD-/+ CD-/+ combo drive burner. I've downloaded MediaLinux as well as dvdauthor6 and am open for any suggestions. My laptop came with XP Home installed and was "upgraded" to Pro before I bought it and for the life of me I am unable to make the os recognize the optical drive for what it really is... a burner combo not just a dvd player and cd burner.
Thanks,
Gone Fishing :shock: [/b]

j.drake
11-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm confused by your post - are you saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is, or that Knoppix won't, or both?

Good luck
JD

gonefishing
11-08-2003, 05:28 PM
I'm confused by your post - are you saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is, or that Knoppix won't, or both?

Good luck
JD

You are correct, I am saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is. As for Knoppix I'm unable to determine if it does as it doesn't seem to have any DVD authoring apps which is why I've downloaded Medialilnux.iso and dvdauthor6 as possible solutions. I'm wondering if it would be easier to do an apt get (which I have not done yet) with dvdauthor6 or install MediaLinux what do you think?

Stephen
11-08-2003, 07:58 PM

Good luck
JD

You are correct, I am saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is. As for Knoppix I'm unable to determine if it does as it doesn't seem to have any DVD authoring apps which is why I've downloaded Medialilnux.iso and dvdauthor6 as possible solutions. I'm wondering if it would be easier to do an apt get (which I have not done yet) with dvdauthor6 or install MediaLinux what do you think?

A quick way to check if it recognized the burner is cdrecord -scanbus when booted from Knoppix if it is seen then you would have to install to the HD to be able to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b which supports writing to DVD.

gonefishing
11-12-2003, 05:40 AM

Good luck
JD

A quick way to check if it recognized the burner is cdrecord -scanbus when booted from Knoppix if it is seen then you would have to install to the HD to be able to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b which supports writing to DVD.

Installed Knoppix 3.3 to hd and am dual booting using Gag no problems. Now ready to install the latest k3b. Need help picking the specific version of k3b as well as how to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b....Can you point me in the right direction?

Stephen
11-12-2003, 06:18 AM
Installed Knoppix 3.3 to hd and am dual booting using Gag no problems. Now ready to install the latest k3b. Need help picking the specific version of k3b as well as how to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b....Can you point me in the right direction?

You need these lines in the sources.list file:

## K3b sources for sarge requires KDE > 3.1.2 from SID
deb http://www.planet-moll.de/debian sarge main

Then you would dselect update and apt-get -s install k3b if the output of the command looks good then remove the -s to actually install. The editing of the file and the commands done as root.