PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Cable modem install

slicksps
11-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi guys,

Well I got knoppix and ran it from CD and was absolutely amazed, everything worked, even my NTL cable modem on USB. Most people seem to recommend using the ethernet port, but a 600kbps connection tends not to go so fast on a 100mbps network card so I thought I'd do it the hard way.

So one knx-hdinstall later, everything went to pot.

I realise it's instantly not quite as user friendly, I had to manually confirgure most of my hardware, which was fine until it came to the modem. Knoppix/debian detects it fine as eth01 but how can I get knoppix to use it as a default gateway and send a DHCP request and all the other wondeful things you need to get a cable modem working. I must stress that although this modem has a fixed IP, NTL insist on changing it whenever they feel like it, so it must be a DHCP request and not a fixed configuration. I tried the Network card config which works to get it running on DamnSmallLinux, but on my installed knoppix, it loads the item in the taskbar with a timer, then eventually disappears from whence it came.

Any help will be much appreciated

:) Keep Smiling :)

slicksps
11-09-2003, 01:46 AM
OK, reading through other posts, I tried a couple of leads and got the modem working with a simple netcardconfig command.

Ok, next problem, is there anyway of doing this at boot to save me having to type it in every single time?

Thanks guys

Stephen
11-09-2003, 02:23 AM
OK, reading through other posts, I tried a couple of leads and got the modem working with a simple netcardconfig command.

Ok, next problem, is there anyway of doing this at boot to save me having to type it in every single time?

Thanks guys

That would be the third question and answer in the FaqNetwork (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork) you would have to make the changes as root.

slicksps
11-09-2003, 02:49 AM
Oh Shush you! ****ing on my fireworks.

Nah just kidding, my fault for not checking there first. Thanks a bill, I'll have a look.