PDA

View Full Version : Soundblaster Audigy on Knoppix

Dark-Prophecy
11-09-2003, 07:31 AM
I just install Knoppix and my sound is not working. I am a COMPLETE newbie to linux as I am now dual booting XP and Knoppix now. Please help me, thanks. As the title says I am using Soundblaster Audigy.

Dark-Prophecy
11-09-2003, 08:40 AM
This is the error I got when I tried sndconfig
The module used for your card emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed.

See, it detects my soundcard fine, but then it gives me that message.

zz9pluralzalpha
11-09-2003, 06:20 PM
You need to use the alsa cheat code. i.e. at boot, type

knoppix alsa

Mike

Dark-Prophecy
11-10-2003, 07:05 PM
How do I do that? When I boot, out comes LILO and the boot menu. I don't have a choice. Sorry I'm a newbie.

I did an HD install, so it doesn't have a boot prompt.

Stephen
11-11-2003, 12:02 AM
How do I do that? When I boot, out comes LILO and the boot menu. I don't have a choice. Sorry I'm a newbie.

I did an HD install, so it doesn't have a boot prompt.

Try as root /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig if it works and you get sound then also as root edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file this sets the default volume on boot.

CrashedAgain
11-11-2003, 05:19 AM
I was also having problems getting sound. I tried what you said & it worked but I had to start xmms from console as root. On the next boot I got an error 'couldn't open device /dev/dsp (Permission denied)' & again no sound unless I started xmms from console as root. permissions for /dev/dsp are user =root, group=audio, rw for user & group. I assume these are default values. What else do I have to do to get sound as user without having to start xmms as root?

Stephen
11-11-2003, 06:16 AM
I was also having problems getting sound. I tried what you said & it worked but I had to start xmms from console as root. On the next boot I got an error 'couldn't open device /dev/dsp (Permission denied)' & again no sound unless I started xmms from console as root. permissions for /dev/dsp are user =root, group=audio, rw for user & group. I assume these are default values. What else do I have to do to get sound as user without having to start xmms as root?

Is the user a member of the audio group? To check use groups or id if you are not a member then adduser user_name audio as root then logout and back in for the changes to take effect.

CrashedAgain
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Tried adding the user to the group 'audio' using KUser. Oddly, had to add root also...no users were checked off by default. That stopped the 'can't open /dev/dsp errors' (BTW did not get the error when logging on as root) but hen XMMS wouldn't run. It would just start up, display the xmms screen then freeze. Had to use ctrl-alt-esc to kill it.
Maybe I've done something bad to the basic system. This is on my laptop, Dual boot Win ME & Knoppix, only 6G HD so minimal room for Knoppix, so I've tried to eliminate unneeded stuff to gain some space & maybe I've trashed something which was necessary.

Stephen
11-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Tried adding the user to the group 'audio' using KUser. Oddly, had to add root also...no users were checked off by default. That stopped the 'can't open /dev/dsp errors' (BTW did not get the error when logging on as root) but hen XMMS wouldn't run. It would just start up, display the xmms screen then freeze. Had to use ctrl-alt-esc to kill it.
Maybe I've done something bad to the basic system. This is on my laptop, Dual boot Win ME & Knoppix, only 6G HD so minimal room for Knoppix, so I've tried to eliminate unneeded stuff to gain some space & maybe I've trashed something which was necessary.

Check for the artsd daemon running it screws up xmms all the time if you do not have the plugin installed and enabled. Try when the problem happens ps xa| grep arts then kill of the number of the arts process. Alternatively you can install xmms-arts and use that for the output plugin instead of the OSS plugin.

CrashedAgain
11-12-2003, 03:06 AM
can't get ps xa /grep arts to work, gives bad syntax errors but ps x gives a list & there is no artsd running. also I get error 'rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC:remote refused' but then it goes ahead & adds the user to /etc/group.
This is definitely a permissions problem of some kind. When I do not have user as a member of audio, xmms plugin works & I can get sound as root, either logged on as root or sudo'd. but as user I get 'cannot open /dev/dsp' error while logging in & get errors when the xmms plugin tries to open. (These errors only started after I added the aumix line to bootmisc as suggested above). When user IS added to group audio, xmms plugin stalls whether being called from root or from user. Won't play sound, won't close.
Late breaking news...it DOES play the sound, it just waits about 30 seconds before it plays!??! but it still won't close.

Stephen
11-12-2003, 05:07 AM
can't get ps xa /grep arts to work, gives bad syntax errors but ps x gives a list & there is no artsd running. also I get error 'rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC:remote refused' but then it goes ahead & adds the user to /etc/group.
This is definitely a permissions problem of some kind. When I do not have user as a member of audio, xmms plugin works & I can get sound as root, either logged on as root or sudo'd. but as user I get 'cannot open /dev/dsp' error while logging in & get errors when the xmms plugin tries to open. (These errors only started after I added the aumix line to bootmisc as suggested above). When user IS added to group audio, xmms plugin stalls whether being called from root or from user. Won't play sound, won't close.
Late breaking news...it DOES play the sound, it just waits about 30 seconds before it plays!??! but it still won't close.

For the ps command that is a | "pipe" symbol not / it is located on my keyboard over the \ key. Firstly if you think the error is connect to the aumix line comment it out and reboot to make sure. With the rpc error are you getting that when using the kadd thing if so use the shell and do it from there you should not be getting any errors adding the user to a group. There is some weird conflict going on another command you can try lsof /dev/dsp here's what it looks like on my machine with xmms & arts working properly:

[12:00 AM Wed Nov 12: stephen @ ~]
>$ lsof /dev/dsp
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
artsd 700 stephen 8u CHR 14,3 5364 /dev/dsp

You do not mention what type of install did you do a Debian or Knoppix method? Also have you installed the xmms-arts plugin and tried that you don't mention? Can you post the output of the ps xa | grep xmms when the problem happens so I can see the processes involved the lsof /dev/dsp and the output of the adduser command when you get the error if it happens on the command line.

CrashedAgain
11-13-2003, 02:29 AM
What a difference a | makes!
ps xa | grep arts returned
472 ? $ 0:08 artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f "
lsof /dev/dsp returned
Command PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
artsd 472 laptop 8w CHR 14.3 124466 /dev/dsp0
After #Kill 472, xmms plugin opened & worked like it should.
I had already tried adduser from terminal & had also commented out the added line in bootmisc...it is currently commented out.
I have used the Debian install as the Knoppix install rewrites fstab each time it is booted. I have the windows drives automounted in /home/user so that everything a 'normal' user might want is in /home & there should be no ordinary need to go into the other directories. I have not added xmms-arts.
Now the question is, why is the artsd running & how do I do a permanent fix? It does not run on my desktop box (ie ps xa | grep arts returns nothing). Both are Knoppix on HD, the only difference is I have deleted almost nothing from this install as it has adequate HD space.

Stephen
11-13-2003, 03:41 AM
What a difference a | makes!
ps xa | grep arts returned
472 ? $ 0:08 artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f "
lsof /dev/dsp returned
Command PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
artsd 472 laptop 8w CHR 14.3 124466 /dev/dsp0
After #Kill 472, xmms plugin opened & worked like it should.
I had already tried adduser from terminal & had also commented out the added line in bootmisc...it is currently commented out.
I have used the Debian install as the Knoppix install rewrites fstab each time it is booted. I have the windows drives automounted in /home/user so that everything a 'normal' user might want is in /home & there should be no ordinary need to go into the other directories. I have not added xmms-arts.
Now the question is, why is the artsd running & how do I do a permanent fix? It does not run on my desktop box (ie ps xa | grep arts returns nothing). Both are Knoppix on HD, the only difference is I have deleted almost nothing from this install as it has adequate HD space.

Kde starts arts automatically you can go into the Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System then aRts tab and disable it. You may want to check out a few of the other options in there for the alsa setup as well.

CrashedAgain
11-13-2003, 04:04 AM
It was as you said. Thanks.

Oskilla
12-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Check is alsa_init is installed (Should be after a knx-hdinstall) Simply run that and all should be well.

-Oskilla