PDA

View Full Version : newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login

freeballer
11-09-2003, 03:58 PM
I've made my own remaster with gnome2.4 and trying to get XCFE4 (which won't boot for me) and a few other packages installed. I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?

aay
11-10-2003, 03:49 AM
I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?

If you are using KDM as your window manager, you should only have to logout and you should be brought back to the login page. Alternately you can just hit ctrl+alt+backspace which should kill X and bring you back to the KDM login.

Adam

locutus
11-10-2003, 07:23 AM
save your configuration and then modify the knoppix.sh file so that it creates links in rc2.d through rc5.d with /etc/init.d/kdm as S19kdm. When you boot with "knoppix myconfig=scan" the knoppix.sh will be run and the added script commands will cause the kdm manager to be run on bootup.

I recently did this after also enabling NIS and kdm shows up with all the NIS login IDs too. Pretty cool. There might be a gdm you could use instead of kdm and as far as window managers go, you'll have to mess with the kdm/gdm init scripts to be sure your particular window managers are available and add code/script to knoppix.sh to restore those files which you might need to put on a floppy if you don't have accessable HD space.

freeballer
11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
thanks I will try that