PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix not working with TFT's?

Hank
11-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi,

downloaded v. 3.3 of Nov 3,2003.
Using a Samsung SyncMaster 181T TFT

Booting Knoppix gave me a dark screen
Booting with screen=1280x1024 vsync=60 won't sync the TFT
Booting with screen=1280x1024 and different other options eventually gave me a picture in some lousy resolution, something like 800X600.

Seems to me, Knoppix does not support TFT's properly.
This was my first try with Linux.
I am disappointed and the way it looks, I won't give it a second try...

Hank

inflagranti
02-14-2004, 10:46 AM
I have exactly the same problem with the C'T edition of Knoppix. Why hasn't there been an answer so far?

As soon as X11 starts the screen looks weird, as if you had set a too high resolution on a old CRT. Means I can see my mouse coursor about four times on the screen and there is some black interlacing. Very strange, because the vsynch seems to be set correctly to 60hz.

Ylz
02-14-2004, 04:10 PM
downloaded v. 3.3 of Nov 3,2003.
[...]
I am disappointed and the way it looks, I won't give it a second try...

Hank, please give it a second try!
I'm using also Knoppix 3.3 (about same date or older) on my 17" Belinea TFT.

I've booted with:
knoppix screen=1280x1024 xvrefresh=60 xmodule=radeon fb=12808x1024
and it worked.

Cheers
- Dan

SUOrangeman
02-15-2004, 06:54 PM
KNOPPIX, and perhaps, most any other Linux distribution, won't properly configure itself for graphical display run on a LCD. let's just say that there aren't enough people *paid* to write the code really needed to achieve this goal.

In any case, nothing seems to be impossible. You may have to work just a little to get everything running smoothly.

I have two Dell 1800FPs and a Gainward GF4 Ti4600 dual-DVI card. I did something to the DVI connection on one of my LCDs, so I currently use one with DVI and the other with HD15. I have successfully used and configured nVidia's drivers in Linux (and FreeBSD, and Windows, if you insist) to allow me to use both displays simultaneously.

It can be done. Just don't expect it to be done for you.

-SUO