PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.1 is in woody has ne1 tried it?

RockMumbles
01-30-2003, 08:59 PM
topic pretty much says it all ...

I'm was wanting to go to kde 3.1 but it's only out for the stable (woody) branch. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and their success rate?? I have a dial-up so I don't want to mess things up trying something new and end up spend most of a day upgrading then removing and reinstalling 3.04, so ...

TIA

rock

freyley
01-31-2003, 03:53 AM
Hi,

Yes, I just installed Knoppix on my laptop and immediately updated to KDE 3.1 (I hated the lack of tabbed browsing in konquerer =).

I had a few problems with it erroring out because of overwriting issues, all of which were solved with either:

dpkg --force configure -i /var/cache/apt/archives/<package name>

or

dpkg --force overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/<package name>

depending on what the error was. once this is done, return to the install with apt-get -f install and then apt-get dist-upgrade when until the dist-upgrade no longer does anything. It took me a while, although it downloaded everything first and then did it all from disk when I was having problems.

Jeff

RockMumbles
01-31-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks I am using Konqueror in KDE 3.1 from my knoppix box to post this "Thank you"! Without your help with the dpkg --force overwrite -i filename I wouldn't be using it right now!!

I couldn't get the dpkg --force configure -i ...to work so I used dpkg --force overwrite -i ...and then dpkg --configure -a.

Thanks a bunch, I have some font problems but I still have a bunch of files that need to be upgraded, I used apt-get intall kdebase to get started, and now I need to get everything up to KDE 3.1.

BTW on my system by just upgrading kdebase Helmet was about the only readable font, almost everything else was a hard to read script font, but all should be well tomorrow morning after an apt-get upgrade.

Thanks again,

rock

BionicToothpick
01-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Please explain in detail...what you do to update to kde3.1 after the knx-hdinstall script has completed.

Do you need to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list
Is it apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

Thanks...

jonatan
01-31-2003, 02:51 PM
hi!

just trying to do the same,
why do i need dist-upgrade?

what is it exaclty doing?

thanks,

jonatan

tuxtom
01-31-2003, 03:08 PM
IMHO is kde 3.1 only in the woody/stable distro of debian (cause of some version conficts with the gcc compiler).
Maybe it works, if you downgrade the system to woody:

comment all testing & unstable lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
replace APT::Default-Release "testing";
by APT::Default-Release "stable"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf

then do

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

and :x be patient - hundreds of packages will be replaced.

I didn't downgrade to woody, but upgraded to sid/unstable some months ago - it worked.

tom

RockMumbles
01-31-2003, 03:33 PM
You have to edit your sources.list to get the debs from a kde woody mirror, www.apt-get.org is a good source for finding URI's for sources.list.

Be advised, there is quite a bit of manual intervention required to get the woody kde 3.1 debs working in Knoppix 3.1. You will have about 10 or so files that refuse to install, without forcing them to overwrite, on my computer I probably spent at least an hour (maybe almost 2) messing around getting things to install, if you can't get everything to install you'll have part 3.1 and part 3.04 (a mess).

What I did was apt-get install kdebase from a kde mirror then forced the install for each package that had overwrite errors using the dpkg --force overwrite ???? for each file that had install errors. Then you need to apt-get dist-upgrade to get the rest of the necessary packages. dist-upgrade will get any necessary packages that are needed when going from one version to another such as libraries etc.

Note: at this time my fonts are still all messed up and I only have two or three usable fonts in my knoppix install, on my woody based system at work KDE 3.1 installed perfectly and works fine (woody packages on a woody system).

rock

jonatan
01-31-2003, 04:37 PM
I just installed some kde 3.1 .debs, now my problem is i cannot start kde.

i am using gdm2, and it was using a default session, which brought up kde ..

i used gnome while updating my system to kde 3.1, now the session has gone :(

where should i add my kde session?

thanks for the help,

jonatan

RockMumbles
01-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Hello,

Your gdm sessions should be in /etc/gdm/Sessions sometimes I've had problems with gdm not using a link ie. KDE is usually a link in /etc/gdm/Sessions to /etc/kde3/debian/KDE-gdm-session so I've copied the KDE-gdm-session file over to the gdm/Sessions directory and renamed it KDE. Then you may have to reconfigure gdm to use the new KDE session. On my system since the upgrade, I think "debian" is my gdm KDE session.

HTH

rock

ironstorm
02-05-2003, 08:38 AM
http://www.northern.ca/forums/msg.php?th=44

most of my config important files are on there too for your refrence....
KDE 3.1 is nice.... :)

Christian.Noack
02-20-2003, 10:24 AM
I managed to install KDE 3.1 with the help of what ironstorm wrote. But after all I must say, that was a pain. I want to be able to compile KDE applications like "kile" and therefore I need kdelibs4-dev. When I try to install them I encounter scaring package dependencies so that my dselect was trying to delete the whole KDE stuff again. I also found out, that kpackage does not work anymore with kde 3.1 The error was: "konsole_grantpty: cannot revoke /dev/ttyp0. Reason: Function not implemented" although konsole_grantpty is installed with setuid. So my personal efforts in installing KDE 3.1 weren't very sucessfull. I have a running KDE 3.1 system by now, but it is not complete and I do not know how to repair it. Any hints? Has anybody got a complete KDE 3.1 whith all development libs included?

Best regards,

Christian
:? :oops: :? :? :? :wink: :?

MichielioZ
02-20-2003, 01:17 PM
I was wondering :
Maybe it would be easier to create a KDE3.1 version with the, for instance, Modularity-K distro (or Morphix base) ?
Or are there still a lot of dependecies in such a small basic distro ?
Then again : Knoppix Lite is easier to use, as it's allready customized a bit.
How should I go about making a KDE3.1 version out of this ?
(Asked more then once, I know, but there still (to me) isn't a clear answer...)

Alextreme
02-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Morphix has a KDE3.1 test module up (in iso form , ready to burn :D) at 275megs (full KDE install with the morphix installer and some extra's, but as far as i can remeber no devel libs included, it's a GUI module). Would really like some feedback, but if you want a stable KDE3.1 i would suggest eadz' KnoppixKDE. :)

Anyway, for more info check www.morphix.org or the mirror (ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/drupal/Morphix). I dont have any specific info on KDE up yet, do have a page on the wiki there reserved for feedback purposes

And no, i won't hack up Morphix base for a single distro, that would be exactly the opposite of what morphix is for ;)

GREGC
03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
I tried the morphix kde 3.1 hd-install...not very stable at all. The first attempt didn't recognize the reiserfs partition and errored out.

Then the setup asks for root and morph passwords...changed them to mine, but at login, states "invalid login"...even for root (the one I picked).

Was only able to login as root, and only by pressing enter with no password. Then I was able to change the password through KDE. Weird, huh?

Then APT is completely foobar in Morphix. There was no apt.conf file at all, there was no "available" file (whatever that is) and that caused errors trying to apt-get anything. Entire directories needed for apt-get were missing. I gave up after checking out the Apt-get How-to's at Debian.org. Their troubleshooting section at least assumes that the directories will at least be there (they're missing in Morphix).

I'll wait for the knoppix 3.2 to arrive.

Greg

RockMumbles
03-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I have a morphix kde 3.1 hd install and it works OK, users are fine, etc.

As root you have to do a:

touch /var/lib/dpkg/available

for dpkg (apt-get) to function properly.

HTH

rock

GREGC
03-11-2003, 01:36 AM
I'd love to give it another go, but I recently discovered Fluxbox...if I can get the desktop icons set up, and some quicklaunch apps, I'd be set.

Would love to see the mem usage comparison between kde3.1 and fluxbox. Anyone have some insight? With 3.0, I only had 3megs free mem (out of 128) at boot.

GregC

RockMumbles
03-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Free memory is not really a consideration with linux, as linux will use all of the available ram it can especially when running an X session.

More of a consideration is system overhead (processor and memory requirements) of the running processes. Since fluxbox is way smaller and much simpler it is faster than kde 3.0 (later versions of kde ie: 3.1 and 3.1.1 are both slightly smaller and slightly faster than previous versions of kde).

here is the top output of one of my systems that has been running almost 38 days:

76 processes: 74 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 4.9% user, 4.1% system, 0.0% nice, 91.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 208468K used, 47812K free, 24104K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 90432K cached
--with openoffice, mozilla the two big user apps running.

here is another top output with openoffice no longer running:

70 processes: 68 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 1.2% user, 0.8% system, 0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 201472K used, 54808K free, 24524K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 91652K cached

Note I have 7MB more free memory (54808K - 47812K) also note openoffice takes 17.4MB to run with the document I had opened (15.2 running OO.org writer without a document opened)

Also note: the two CPU states cannot really be compared as the values fluctuate with system usage, switching windows etc.

rock

RockMumbles
03-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Free memory is not really a consideration with linux, as linux will use all of the available ram it can especially when running an X session.

More of a consideration is system overhead (processor and memory requirements) of the running processes. Since fluxbox is way smaller and much simpler it is faster than kde 3.0 (later versions of kde ie: 3.1 and 3.1.1 are both slightly smaller and slightly faster than previous versions of kde).

here is the top output of one of my systems that has been running almost 38 days:

76 processes: 74 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 4.9% user, 4.1% system, 0.0% nice, 91.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 208468K used, 47812K free, 24104K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 90432K cached
--with openoffice, mozilla the two big user apps running.

here is another top output with openoffice no longer running:

70 processes: 68 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 1.2% user, 0.8% system, 0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 201472K used, 54808K free, 24524K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 91652K cached

Note I have 7MB more free memory (54808K - 47812K) also note openoffice takes 17.4MB to run with the document I had opened (15.2 running OO.org writer without a document opened)

Also note: the two CPU states cannot really be compared as the values fluctuate with system usage, switching windows etc.

rock