PDA

View Full Version : How to install Knoppix 3.3

Ulaire Smiley
11-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Hello,
After trying to get RedHat, Debian, and SuSE to work and the installer not working for any of them (I still have no clue why), I thought I'd try Knoppix. I formatted the hard drive from DOS as FAT, then booted from the CD (version 3.3). I'm seeing stuff about being able to install Knoppix somehow though, can someone tell me how to do it?

My main problem right now is that Knoppix keeps locking up whenever I try to run anything; I've got a 6 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM (although no swap space yet), and a 633 MHz processor, and I can't see any reason why it's locking up. I'm guessing that by installing Knoppix that it has a smoother performance, but I need to know how to do this. Any help is very welcome!

Thanks,
- Smiley

sevengraff
11-10-2003, 12:33 AM
i think the command is knoppix-installer

bxb32001
11-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Do you intend to dual-boot? The reason I ask is so you can partition your disks differently...

If you intend to install just Knoppix-Debian then you'd probably do okaywith making one primary partition for '/', one one FAT32 partition (I'll explain why in a bit, maybe just around 800 MB?), and one 512 mb swap partition.

Now why the FAT32 partition? Well, you can copy the 'knoppix' folder from the Knoppix CD onto that partition and make a boot floppy from there. It's called an HD based install and you can read more about it here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo).

From the HOWTO:
1.4. Run Microsoft Windows, copy Knoppix to HD & make it bootable with bootfloppy

Also called "poormans install" ;-)

NOTE: The partition (i.e. drive) that you are copying to (the D partition in the example below) must be a fat32 partition. If it is NTFS, the install will not boot.

* Copy the CD:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to HD:\KNOPPIX\

E:\KNOPPIX\>mkdir D:\KNOPPIX
E:\KNOPPIX\>copy KNOPPIX D:\KNOPPIX\
1 files(s) copied

* Make the bootfloppy. Start "mkfloppy.bat" on the CD in the KNOPPIX folder.

E:\KNOPPIX\>mkfloppy

* Boot from the floppy. It should scan for the KNOPPIX file and find it on the harddisk.
* Enjoy

It will function as if it's the live CD but your hard drive may offer better performance. Now open up a konsole, type 'su' (press return) then type "knoppix-installer"( press return), that should get you started. I suggest you start from the option to partition your hard drive so you can set up your swap and ext3 partitions.

paradocs
11-10-2003, 06:15 AM
Hi Ulaire Smiley,

Your sysem numbers look good. Are you haveing
freeze ups when working from the CD boot?

If so you may want to try some of the "no" boot
cheat codes. Try especially nodm although this may
be by default off.

See DOCS and cheat codes.

If this doesn't help tell us more specifics of what
is on you computer.

Best Wishes
paradocs

CapnGimp
11-10-2003, 11:43 AM
just a thought, if those various installers didn't work...u might try checking the jumpers on your drives and see if they are set for proper master or slave RATHER THAN Cable Select. I ran into this many moons ago with various linux versions. I had hurriedly installed a new drive w/o checking the jumper, caught it many tries later. gl :idea:

sweetmeinert
11-11-2003, 01:42 PM
how can i download the full iso of knoppix not knoppix live cd i like to hafe it on my pc not in the cd

bxb32001
11-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Huh?

The live CD -- IS -- the full CD...

Abehome
11-20-2003, 02:47 AM
I think he is asking about installing Knoppix on the Hard Disk. What you need to do is to :
- boot what you called "Live CD" Knoppix
- Press Ctrl -Alt-F1. This will open a terminal session window.
- You might have to hit return in that window to get the prompt
- enter knx-hdinstall. This will lead you through the process of creating partitions (swap & /). The full procedure was on this site and I can't find it any more. I recently did that and the installtion went OK except the reboot failed. I have posted a message to see if any one has ideas and haven't heard yet.

May be you will have better luck.

-Abe

bxb32001
11-20-2003, 02:55 AM
You can also use 'knoppix-installer' in place of knx-hdinstall. Easy and no probs with it so far.

Abehome
11-20-2003, 03:28 AM
As I understand it, 'knoppix-installer' makes a copy of the CD which is compressed and does not allow you to add other apps. I prefer using Knx-hdinstall because it does create a normal Debian install but a lot easier than standard debian install.

bxb32001
11-20-2003, 03:33 AM
Actually, with 'knoppix-installer' you get two choices: 'Debian Style' and 'Knoppix Style' -- Debian style being the hard disk install and Knoppix style being an installation that runs like the live-CD.

I have never tried knx-hdinstall but have used knoppix-installer around seven times now. It is by far (to me, at least) the easiest and most reliable Linux installation I have ever experienced :)

Abehome
11-20-2003, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I never used 'knoppix-installer' but I just read two another posts and both do confirm your description. If you used it seven times and worked for you, I am confident it will work for me too. Thanks again.

Regards

Superstoned
11-20-2003, 12:44 PM
well, knoppix-installer was made to replace knx-hdinstall (which is no longer mantained). It offers the same options, and more. So there is no real reason to use knx-hdinstall...

jeramy
11-29-2003, 01:21 AM
I had used knx-hdinstall back in 3.2, and that's how I got my current Knoppix/Debian setup.

I remember that there was something that I found confusing about it (but I can't put my finger on it). :oops: It also didn't give me the choice of filesystem I wanted to use -- just ext3.

Hayabusa
11-30-2003, 11:45 PM
my question...

I know back in the knx-hdinstall days you could use teh flag alsa to install alsa as opposed to OSS.

Is there such an option with the new installer? I'm also wondering if/how this will be rewritten once the 2.6 kernel becomes stable which has alsa support built into it (seeing how OSS is becoming depreciated)

jeramy
12-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Ulaire Smiley,

At what point does it lock up? Does it load and then fail when you try and run an application, or does it fail when it's starting up?