PDA

View Full Version : Problem with HD and Knoppix 3.3 HELP

andymadigan
11-10-2003, 04:33 AM
I saw another post on this problem, but the problem wasn't resolved, hopefully someone who knows what to do will see this.

Here is the problem:
When trying to run knoppix-install the installation doesn't because of an error with
cfdisk the program says

FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive
Press any key to exit cfdisk

I am using an older 10 GB HD which not too long ago had Knoppix 3.2 installed on it. The HD is the only one there, but it is plugged into the Slave, so it registers as HDB, there is currently a FAT32 partition on it, and there might be an old (and nonworking) version of LILO on from an old install of Mandrake Linux. The HD is slave because I have another Hd w/ Win2k on it, I unplugged to make sure the install would write to it.

PLEASE HELP
thnx

rickenbacherus
11-10-2003, 05:51 AM
Try it as root.

sudo cfdisk

or

su
<password>
cfdisk

edit
I would recommend connecting the win2k drive. You know which one it is and Knoppix isn't going to write to it voluntarily. If you intend on accessing the hdd after you install Linux it will be easier that way although, it is certainly possible to leave the drive unplugged if that makes you more comfortable.

fef
12-26-2003, 03:43 AM
try this one first "knoppix dma" and other switches

or

boot cdrom, xterm, then "sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX" after this you should be a ble to use cfdisk.