PDA

View Full Version : No internet on blueyonder 600k service

Helpmelearn
11-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi I am sure this has been asked a great deal before but none the less I have never used linux and only used the cd-rom a few days ago so forgive me if I sound like an extreme newbie (windows born and bred):

Like I said I got the cd-rom and installed, went smoothly until it was time for the internet,
surprise surprise no connection
I read some of the replies in this group on what to do:
I went back to windows did ipconfig noted the settings, ip address, gateway, gateway mask..came back to knoppix via the cd-rom and ran knoppix>netword card configuration from the lower left hand option and put in the settings I had obtained from windows...still nothing.

I then ran k-mail and put in the smtp, pop3 and username and password I use for the blueyonder service, I read somewhere here that kmail should help knoppix auto detect your network settings and let you on the net, am afraid still nothing.

So here I post, I have run out of ideas as to what to do to get my internet working on knoppix, I am on winxp

thanks for any help

Henk Poley
11-10-2003, 11:15 PM
I guess you use Cable/ADSL with or without some sort of router.

Have you tried running knoppix>netword card configuration and selecting 'use DHCP broadcast' (or something similar)? It will ask for configuration data on the network, which your router should supply.

If you don't use a router, then you need to know if your 'modem' is a network-modem, in which case you need to configure it with the ADSL and Cable config/setup programs in the Knoppix menu, or a normal gateway, in which case the DHCP broadcast should work.

Helpmelearn
11-12-2003, 07:45 PM
I don't use a router as far as I am aware, I use a dhcp server, I do not know if this is the same as the nameserve on knoppix, I have my ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and dhcp server, I have tried manually putting the values into the network card config manaully, as opposed to letting it auto detect with dhcp, but still nothing. I understand that my network card ( a netgear fa11 ethernet) is supported by a natsemi driver on knoppix but I dont see it, and I have never used knoppix or c++ for that matter so wouldn't know what to do to load it once I had the driver, where would I compile it, if I had the c code and knowing that g++ -o filename.exe natsemicode.c would produce a filename.exe in the current directory how would I get knoppix to recognise this executable is the driver for the network in future events..

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks