PDA

View Full Version : How do I connect?

CrashedAgain
11-11-2003, 12:47 AM
Maybe I'm just asking for an RTFM here but I can't find the right FM to RT.
Question is: How do I connect my laptop box to my desktop box? both are dual boot Win ME & Knoppix 3.3 (on HD). connection is through net cards & a router. I can connect to the internet ok, Samba connect the boxes together (using Lineigbourhood) when one is running Win & the other is running Knoppix but I can't figure out how to connect Knoppix to Knoppix. I'm sure it should be easy but how do I do it?

rickenbacherus
11-11-2003, 03:24 AM
It is quite easy to connect from one linux box to another with ssh. Of course make sure you can ping the other box first. Make sure the ssh daemon is running on the machine you want to log into:

sshd

then try to ssh in from your other LAN machine. It will depend on your particular setup but something like:

ssh -l (username on the box you're ssh'ing into) 192.168.0.104

That's it. If you're using KDE then you also have another cool feature called FISH. Open Konqueror and enter:

fish://root@192.168.0.104

It will ask for your password of course and then you can graphically drag and drop. There are yet other ways too like scp.

CrashedAgain
11-11-2003, 06:11 AM
Can't get to first base.
sshd gives error
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
" /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
" /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
" 2. "
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting
I must have to set something up first!
PS yes I am using KDE.
ifconfig says both machines have inet addresses of 192.168.2.120. Ping 192.168.2.120 is OK (I think...it keeps repeating '64 bytes from 192.168.2.120;icmp_seq=<number> ttl=64 time=0.4' but doesn't indicate any errors)
fish://root@192.168.2.120 'error loading fish,could not connect to localhost.