PDA

View Full Version : Poor man install dont mount /mnt/hda1 correctly

rodrigo_tomita
11-11-2003, 01:32 PM
HI,

I've downloaded Knoppix 3.3 and made a poor man install (I have a small hd). Everything works fine, but my hd are mounted to root user, despite what is configurated in /etc/fstab.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks.

garyng
11-11-2003, 06:07 PM
um, poorman's install is just a variant of live CD so I don't know if /etc/fstab(your configured one) would have any effect, as it is supposed to be autogen by knoppix.

rodrigo_tomita
11-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Yes, I believe that the poormans install works just like the CD. The problem is that the autogenerated /etc/fstab is setting uid=knoppix for hda1 and when my hd is mounted, the owner of the files is root user.

As far as I know, this isn't the expected behavior (I have only one HD, with one 'fat' partition).

garyng
11-11-2003, 09:18 PM
it could be that the generated fstab has no effect as it has been already mounted in linuxrc(for hosting the cloop file).

Can you try a 'mount -o remount' and manually set the uid=knoppix options etc in that command ?

rodrigo_tomita
11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
I made some tests... its interesting:

(startup knoppix)
%mount /mnt/hda1 (as root or as knoppix)
mount: /dev/hda1 already mounted or /mnt/hda1 busy

but clicking the HD icon on desktop works fine.
HD is now mounted.

%mount -o remount,suid /mnt/hda1
Only root can mount

%sudo mount -o remount,suid /mnt/hda1
No error message, but files still owned by root

I don't understand... but I think (as you said) that somehow knoppix is doing this because it already mounted the hd to load CD image from it.