PDA

View Full Version : cant access net

dankehoe1
11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
running 3.2 off cdrom, pc networked through a lynksys router, have an etherfast nic. the setup network config utility thingy identifies one adapter in my sys and designates it eth0 but when i try to broadcast, i get a failed error. my router is set to dhcp=yes. when i try a ping to www.cnn.com, i get "unknown server" i am new to anything unix but really really really wanna dump bill gates if i can. please help. BTW, i have an XBOX which has been modded to run linux (gentoox actually) and it is on the same network with the linksys and it connects to the net fine if that means anything.) thanks

rneff
11-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Type "ifconfig -a" and post the results.

pau1knopp
11-11-2003, 08:01 PM
It needs to have the DNS server defined. Post the contents of /etc/resolv.conf while your at it. It should look something like

nameserver 206.77.33.199

If your local interface (127.0.0.1) is the only thing there, that's your issue.

dankehoe1
11-12-2003, 12:01 AM
okay, here is the results of ifconfig -a, it may be a letter or two off as i had to copy it by hand and retype it here, as i couldnt figure out how to print it or save it to floppy. so here goes:

ETHO link encap: ethernet haddr 00:A0:CC:E0:36:A7
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 METRIC 1
Rx Packets:0 Errors:0 Dropped:0 Overruns:0 frame:0
Tx Packets:0 Errors:4 Dropped:2 Overruns:0 Carrier:4
Collisions:0 Txqueuelen:100

lo Link Encap Local Loopback
inet address: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
Up Loopback Running MTU 16436 Metric:1
Rx Packets:52 Errors:0 Dropped:0 Overruns:0 frame:0
Tx Packets:52 Errors:0 Dropped:0 Overruns:0 Carrier:0
Collisions:0 Txqueuelen:0
Rx Bytes:3464 (3.3 KiB) Tx Bytes 3464 (3.3 KiB)

and, I did look at etc\resolv.conf and, in fact, the nameserver only has 127.0.0.1

so i guess the next thing i need to do is find out the address of my server (would it be 192.168.1.1? as in my router?) and enter it into the resolv.conf and save. yes?

this is an edit:
well, i cant seem to do the above, cuz, i dont have permission to write. when i right clik the resolv.conf file and select properties, the option to enable writing is grayed out. i tried to log in as super user (su at konsole) but i dont know the password. i tried root and knoppix, neither work.
i will keep searching

this is another edit:
i loaded the cd into my sons puter which is on the same router as my puter, and it accesses the net just fine WTF?? i think i will try to boot to knoppix from the xbox (also on the router) and see if i can access the net from there. what the f*** can be preventing my machine from accessing?? help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

motumboe
12-02-2003, 02:38 PM
you can access a root console, search in the menus :-)
btw, I have the same problem. I have a small adsl modem/router (IP:192.168.1.254) and another PC with WINXP (192.168.1.1). I set the Linux's network interface's IP to 192.168.1.3.
From Linux machine I can't ping nothing, but I can see a flashing led when I do the ping! What's the matter?
If it was a firewall problem (ipchains, as someone told me), I'd not be able to see the flashing LED, am I right?

Thnx
Marco

cybersmurf
12-03-2003, 05:03 PM
hi!
i had a similar problem. sometimes defining a gateway helps.
i dont know how to define one permanently, but use
route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip of your router or whatever you use to access the net)
i hope it works :?

Harry Kuhman
12-03-2003, 05:54 PM
.... when i try a ping to www.cnn.com, i get "unknown server" ....
What's your current status?

Trying to ping www.cnn.com is too big of a first step to tell us much when it fails. Try to ping 192.168.0.1 (or, if I remember this address wrong, ping the ip address for your Linksys, whatever it is). If you can't ping that then you sure can't get to the Internet; if you can ping it then you are past a lot of the problems I've had and it should just be a configuration issue.

motumboe
01-08-2004, 09:10 AM
you can access a root console, search in the menus :-)
btw, I have the same problem. I have a small adsl modem/router (IP:192.168.1.254) and another PC with WINXP (192.168.1.1). I set the Linux's network interface's IP to 192.168.1.3.
From Linux machine I can't ping nothing, but I can see a flashing led when I do the ping! What's the matter?
If it was a firewall problem (ipchains, as someone told me), I'd not be able to see the flashing LED, am I right?

Thnx
Marco

my problems were solved by running sudo mii-tool -r before runnning sudo netcardconfig.
Now I can surf the net with no problems :-)