PDA

View Full Version : IRC Help available on irc.freenode.net channel #knoppix

eadz
12-02-2002, 01:56 PM
As subject :)

A. Jorge Garcia
12-11-2002, 02:52 AM
Believe it or not, I've never used irc as I heard there's a lot of junk there. How do I do so for knoppix?

Thanx!

eadz
12-11-2002, 08:18 AM
I use a program called "bitchx" which is a comand line irc client.

to connect to the #knoppix chat room ( where about 10+ ppl hang out all the time ) type this command in a terminal :

bitchx

( now wait for it to connect )

then type

/join #knoppix

to change your nickname :
/nick newnicname

Neb00
12-11-2002, 10:38 PM
There is a GUI called XCHAT that comes on the KNOPPIX CD.
I only used it once but was OK.
Later
Ben

A. Jorge Garcia
12-21-2002, 03:55 AM
OK, I tried XCHAT and couldn't connect to irc.noppix.net. Then I tried another server but couldn't, find #knoppix. What did I miss??

eadz
12-21-2002, 04:06 AM
That should work. anyhow, use server irc.debian.org

There are different netoworks which have different chanels on them, such as undernet, etc.

The one you want is freenode, formely openprojects.

The server irc.knoppix.net is an alias for irc.debian.org.
So in xchat, there should be a default "Debian Support Channel". Click that, and that will take you into the #debian chanel. Now type "/join #knoppix" to join that channel.

Tech2k
12-24-2002, 07:34 PM
Just open xchat then fill in your nicks and name up top.Click the + and drop the menu by "OpenProjectsNet" and highlite "irc.openprojects.net" next click the "Connect" button at the lower left and in the new window that opens type "/join #knoppix"

A. Jorge Garcia
12-28-2002, 05:24 AM
OOOO, what fun? I finally used XCHAT and irc.debian.org on channel #knoppix today and had a very nice chat indeed!

Thanx for all you help.

Tigren
01-03-2003, 09:10 PM
We sure would love to see more people on irc. we had about 30+ the other day, but if you are looking for somewhat instant answers, its the best place to be.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Yup, the other night it was sort of dead. However, about a week ago I went on at night (US Eastern DST) and it was hopping!

Sport
02-05-2003, 03:35 AM
Hello,

I am using mIRC on windows 98. I couldn't get connected to the openprojects network.

Could you please send instructions on which net to select?

Thanks,
Charlie Patterson

eadz
02-05-2003, 03:40 AM
the openprojects network changed their name

all of these servers should work
irc.knoppix.net
irc.debian.org
or see

http://www.freenode.org/irc_servers.shtml
for lots more

Sport
02-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your advice.

In my case running mIRC I did not have access to the servers mentioned. I was able to get to the knoppix channel by going to http://www.linuxlookup.com/irc.php and clicked on either link. When there I typed in #knoppix and then clicked 'Join'.

The folks there were able to assist me. What a 'great' support system.

Regards,
Charlie Patterson

robelanator
02-11-2003, 07:17 PM
I'd just like to echo the sentiments expressed by the others in this thread.

I had a small annoyance with Mozilla last night and was able to fix it quickly with the help of the kind folks manning #knoppix.

Thanks to all those who volunteer their time to help us new users!

lilliput
03-16-2003, 12:29 PM
A french channel is now available @ #knoppixfr on the same host
(officiel www.knoppixfr.org channel... )
so see u soon

puccio
04-26-2003, 09:47 AM
The First ITALIAN channel is now available on the net ' IRC.OLTRELINUX.COM' , channel: #knoppix

so see u soon

Vincenzo 'PuCCiO' Ciaglia
http://www.pucciolab.org

god
05-21-2003, 04:29 AM
CAn we get a chan op in there to ban "James"? he is regestering the nicks "knoppix" "knoppix_" and so on, and kicking anyone that uses tehm... If you recall, that is the default nick for a few of the IRC clients in knoppix..... this is a BAD thing to allow to happen.

eadz
05-21-2003, 04:39 AM
CAn we get a chan op in there to ban "James"? he is regestering the nicks "knoppix" "knoppix_" and so on, and kicking anyone that uses tehm... If you recall, that is the default nick for a few of the IRC clients in knoppix..... this is a BAD thing to allow to happen.

You can talk to chanserv to find out who has op. not me. however, people should really set their nickname. However, he can still kick people even if he is banned from the channel. He owns the nickname "knoppix". The only thing is to write to the overall network admin as ask them to own the nick knoppix, and /msg people who join with the nickname knoppix asking them to change their nick to something else.

beforewisdom
06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
A friend of mine tried asking a question on #knoppix this weekend.

First she was ignored, the a user "nathan-" sent her to a url with .gif of bart simpson writing on a blackboard "I will go to google before asking stupid questions".

Great way to built a user community guys.

Steve

Psibr
07-10-2003, 04:40 PM
IRC is a highly variable thing. And even "good" tech assist channels vary by the whim of the people on them.

But even with #knoppix being a fairly good channel compared to the other linux related ones(try those sometime if you want to learn what linux/unix grade rudeness really is), it's still not quite to the point of being even close to the AOL tech support line level you are likely expecting it to be.

Knoppix is just the start in the changing of the linux culture from hardcore no life dorklings who consider using any other editor than vi to be a hellworthy offense, to linux versions where you can boot from the CD and with fairly minimal levels of pain get a lot of hardware and software to run "easily".

If you haven't seen the evolution of Linux its easy to forget that getting any GUI based linux to run on a machine with 40 megs of RAM and 120 megs of free space inside of 20 minutes has been pretty much a no chance in hell proposition.

While the technology has evolved astoundingly, don't expect the culture to change at the same pace. You'll still have to do most of the work yourself, and even then, documentation is laughable. Want info on linux GUIs or windows managers ? 2 lines of descriptions per GUI/WM on the sourceforge download pages is about all there is at best, and its ALL like that for anything not heavily mainstream.

This isn't just a matter of the garbage man being able to launch his fishing boat at the yacht club launch, this is worse, this is breaking down the door to the server closet and trying to get answers out of the autistic savants that live in it.

The ONLY way to build a more mainstream linux culture is for windows using type people to actually learn it and build their own support base. And so far, knoppix is about the easiest way to learn linux by actually using it. Maybe if they have a linux+ cert for dummies book out there that might help.

Until this evolution happens, forget going to an IRC channel for tech assist if your feeling might be potentially hurt.

beforewisdom
07-12-2003, 02:28 PM
But even with #knoppix being a fairly good channel compared to the other linux related ones(try those sometime if you want to learn what linux/unix grade rudeness really is), it's still not quite to the point of being even close to the AOL tech support line level you are likely expecting it to be.

I was never interested in nor did I expect something like an AOL tech support for knoppix for free. I only expected basic politeness, ie not insulting someone for asking a question. Yes, IRC is not quite like that, but if no one ever objects to such behviour it will never change

Knoppix is just the start in the changing of the linux culture from hardcore no life dorklings who consider using any other editor than vi to be a hellworthy offense, to linux versions where you can boot from the CD and with fairly minimal levels of pain get a lot of hardware and software to run "easily".

All the more reason to raise objections to abusive behaviour.

The people who work on knoppix/linux/gpl stuff want to see a reward for their hard unselfish work by seeing people use their software and thereby promoting the freedoms of the gpl.

People who choose to gratuitiously insult people seeking help will prevent this by driving newcomers to knoppix/linux/the gpl away.

All it takes is for a few other people to raise objections to such behaviour to make it go away. I have seen it in other forums.

The ONLY way to build a more mainstream linux culture is for windows using type people to actually learn it and build their own support base. And so far, knoppix is about the easiest way to learn linux by actually using it. Maybe if they have a linux+ cert for dummies book out there that might help.

Windows was made for people who are computer users, not computer professionals or computer enthusiasts. GNU/Linux needs to win over these people...take them from the windows camp, in order to grow. Many of these people will never be interested in their operating system beyond simply using it. The way to build a mainstream linux culture is to let go of the idea that this a bad thing. It really isn't a bad thing. The internet/usenet is voluntary so anyone who does not want to answer or even read questions does not have to. For people like us the only thing left to do to build a mainstream linux community is to stand up when people are slammed for asking a question.

Psibr
07-15-2003, 06:52 AM
I can see your point, and maybe it works in other communities. But complaining is not going to cut it with your unix/linux geek crowd. I've got friends who do consulting for this kind of stuff, and talking with them about anything unix/linux related is far more painfull on average than having infected stitches on your face removed with no painkiller.

I hate to think of what fun you're going to have with the average "customer service THIS buddy!" attitude unix geek when they are done with a hard days work, and probably starting to get trashed.
That whole deal with the "grovel before me technoid, I'm a big important lawyer with a trophy wife, cover my inept mistakes and maybe I'll pay my bill on time" that they face on the job is going to be turned around on some unsuspecting newbie when they hit IRC.

It's not exactly to the point of being the "we're the phone company, we don't care,we don't have to!" attitude, its more or a merit based snobism. If you can't be troubled to at least LOOK at the manual, they are going to taunt you. Crying a river and/or sending every code grinding geek an angry e-mail won't change that.

A base of people needs to be built up who have lives that don't revolve around coding or working with computers exclusively. When you have that you'll have people who are more understanding of newbie mistakes and ignorance of where to look for answers.

beforewisdom
07-15-2003, 02:23 PM
IMHO I think you are stretching my point way out of shape.

Nobody is talking about complaining about quality of help from a position of entitlement or an attitude of entitlement.

I am talking about the community coming togther to lose the attitude on the _other_ end.

The community needs to encourgage losing the idea that asking a question.....without a threat of rudeness......is an earned privelage.

Not only does it indicate a need of a life, but it weakens the community by driving away support for the community.

Its all voluntary in reality and it works both ways so no one has room to make a _ legitimate_ complaint.

If someone doesn't want to deal with a post they don't have to.

People who slam others gratuitiously on the internet are basically cowards.
A few people posting back saying that they do not endorse the behaviour is often enough.

I have seen groups turned around like that.

However, that only works if someone says something, so I said something.

The attitude problem is with us, the community, we can ignore anyone we want to, but being rude to people sabatoges are own goals.

Steve

Psibr
07-15-2003, 10:06 PM
It's not really easy to make the point without insulting either the newbies or the unix/linux geeks.

But basically the people you are looking for, are not there. You are not gonna find a MENSA group with an outreach program for middle IQ folks.

Simply read any pre-2000 linux manual, then go farther back and read a pre-90s Unix manual. You will hopefully soon get the idea where this all started, and still how far away the bulk of the unix/linux crowd is from normal users.

I suppose you missed the point when I was saying the closest thing to a Linux for Dummies guide was the Linux+ Certification prep books. That wasn't a joke, the documentation for all linux/unix is that bad.

The people who 10 years or more ago who slogged through the manuals are not going to understand what your problem is. Linux now is like having an automatic transmission rather than having to stop, unbolt, change and rebolt on the new gears. With knoppix you don't even really have to drive, just give it instructions when it gets lost.

But that's where the breakdown happens. Outside of the nifty hack that knoppix is, everything is still a wasteland of poorly documented fragments. The few out there who know whats going on don't speak your language, and like the french get highly uptight when you speak the language poorly.
Ranting and raving that they should speak english does no good. You are in their country. Spending money or not, they don't care.

Maybe once there are more ordinary people around, there will be an actual base of people that can relate and act as a support group. But that's not going to happen for quite some time. Even then, the people who grind the code are not going to worry about making it user friendly to anyone but their limited peer group. Those who do make a Linux environment that is deliberately user friendly are going to want real money for it. And unless they coded a program, its not going to be documented to a point where ordinary users can understand it.

beforewisdom
07-16-2003, 01:09 AM
It's not really easy to make the point without insulting either the newbies or the unix/linux geeks.

No insults are needed. It is simply a matter of replying back to a forum after someone has been obviously and gratuitiously slammed for having asked a question stating that you/I/we don't go for slamming people for asking questions.

But basically the people you are looking for, are not there. You are not gonna find a MENSA group with an outreach program for middle IQ folks.

I never wrote that I was looking for those people or anyone. I only called someone on being gratuitously rude and am making the point to encourage others to do the same as it will help the linux community.

I've met a lot of intelligent people online, but not many people far above the clouds and I haven't met any stupid people yet. I also know several literal geniuses in my life who behave and deal like normal people.

The other issues you raise beyond my point are not about intelligence, its about people who have gotten into the habit of being nasty to people regardless of how smart they are.

Gratuitous rudeness and an imperious attitude don't have to have anything to do with intelligence. If you don't believe me just go to your local motor vehicale administration on a busy day :)

Steve

[/quote]

DARRYL
04-04-2004, 08:58 PM
A french channel is now available @ #knoppixfr on the same host
(officiel www.knoppixfr.org channel... )
so see u soon why cant i load knoppix on my dell laptop (5150) from the cd boot.

dr3240
05-14-2004, 02:20 AM
my dail up wont work

mator
06-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi!
Was unable to connect to your server today.

09:42 -!- Irssi: Unable to connect server irc.knoppix.net port 6667 [Name or service not known]

Better move to #gentoo@freenode (http://www.freenode.net) if you have some troubles ?