PDA

View Full Version : trouble booting a knoppix CD

Jared
11-12-2003, 01:30 PM
:roll: I am having this problem with booting knoppix on my windows 98 computer. because my computer only has the options to boot from the A and C drives I have already used a floppy to point my computer to the knoppix cd. Although, this hasn't worked. for some reason the floppy can't find the cd. What should I do?

chrisb
11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
for some reason the floppy can't find the cd. What should I do?
Please tell us what messages appear when you boot from floppy: it is hard to suggest anything when all we know is "it didn't work".

L2Cache
11-13-2003, 07:41 AM
You could try putting smart boot manager on a floppy and see if that will boot the cdrom drive:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

Jared
11-14-2003, 03:16 PM
chrisb, to answer your question, for a more detailed description of my problem go to the third page of the General in this forum and I have another posting called "earlier version of Knoppix". I started this posting because I had not checked my posting on this site for a few days and it had made its way towards the back of the forum with the later postings so no one was looking at my posting. also I wanted a more descriptive title so I created a new post on my same problem, but with a different name.

Jared
11-14-2003, 03:21 PM
L2Cache, i went to http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ to look at the smart boot manager you were talking about. When I looked at the download section there were lots of options. i am wondering which version you would recomend? I am a newbe so could you help me out a bit here?

garyng
11-14-2003, 07:34 PM
just use the 3.7 DOS version to install.

However, if you make a floppy from KNOPPIX(following its procedure) and boot and cannot see the CD, BTM is not going to help as what it essentially does is to sort of 'load the CD boot image from the CD-ROM' and hands over. It is no different than booting with a floppy after that(the CD's boot image is the same as you made on floppy).

What kind of CD-ROM you have ? If KNOPPIX floppy cannot see it, it is most likely the driver does not support it and not much can be done.

You can try copy the big \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to c:\ then boot with the floppy.

Jared
11-24-2003, 05:50 PM
I suspect you are right about it still not working with the BTM. But, I don't think I can copy the "\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to c:\ " because I can't complete the startup in windows?

L2Cache
11-24-2003, 07:49 PM
For SBM, you download the: sbminst.exe (DOS executable) and
cwsdpmi.exe (support file)
Put them on a floppy, run sbminst.exe from DOS, install SBM on the floppy with the boot cdrom option enabled, then boot from the floppy.
It may be able to boot your cdrom drive. It works for me.

Jared
11-25-2003, 02:41 PM
8) I copied the two files from http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ on the same floppy as the pointer file. will try it soon.

L2Cache
11-26-2003, 01:20 AM
The SBM files should be put on an empty floppy. When you run sbminst.exe and install SBM on the floppy, it will take over the whole floppy.

Jared
11-26-2003, 03:15 AM
I tried using the boot manager on my com but it just detects the pointer file and go's through the same dead end as before. What should I do?? :roll:

Jared
11-29-2003, 11:51 PM
L2 Cache, I already copied the SBM files on the pointer floppy and fried it but it didn't work. it go's through the same problem of checking everywhere for the disk but not finding it. the computer must not detect the SMB. would copying the SBM files on the pointer floppy be part of my problem? what do i do next?